Author Topic: Can you tell me if my DD's diet is OK??  (Read 1202 times)

Offline tullyma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Sydney Australia
Can you tell me if my DD's diet is OK??
« on: August 24, 2006, 09:27:39 am »
DD is dairy intolerant so it really limits us. She is soooo picky but I was terribly finicky too until I was about 12 so I'm trying not to worry to much but it's very hard. I find that I get really agitated with her and that just makes things worse. Here is her average daily menu:

Brekkie: Porridge with soy milk, brown sugar and honey. Piece of toast w vegemite. Handful of cashews. 2 strawberries.
Snack: Dairy free choc biscuit / crackers with peanut butter / rice crackers / pear.
Lunch: Vegemite & avocado sandwich (only eats 1/2 though). Vanilla soy milk in a cup.
Snack: same as morning snack or more cashews
Dinner: Very little  ::) Shephard's Pie is about the only thing she'll eat (mince meat with mashed potato, carrots, peas & corn). Then she gets hungry again before bedtime and asks for more crackers. Sometimes soy icecream for desert.

The early childhood clinic said she is on the slim side (though not underweight) so I should try and just feed her all day - whenever she wants it. I have a bit of a problem with this now as she is used to just "snacking" and won't ever eat a proper meal. She just picks at her lunch/dinner and then 1/2 hour later asks for a cracker or biccie  ::)

What do you think?

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: Can you tell me if my DD's diet is OK??
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 09:58:06 am »
Olivia is 19 mo and does not have any intolerance, just a lot of texture issues and a very fussy appetite. she grazes A LOT and i just think that is some kids' way...  she will eat breakfast around 7:30 or so and it is hit and mioss the amount of cereal/fruit/toast combo she will eat, but without fail she is STARVING and begging for food on and off from 8:30-10:30  same with dinner at 5  - she begs for food from 4:30 and then after dinner from 6/6:30 and guzzles her milk at 1pm and 7pm

my points are that i think your lo menu looks fine and that the snacks afetr meals are somewhat "normal" if not the "norm"  if you get my  meaning. i don't think the snacks are creating a bad habit if that is what you are worried about - i think their appetites dictate the snacking.  my dd1 is 3 and never needed snacks and to this day gorges at breakfast and then eats less at lunch and dinner - it seems to be how she is hardwired (from the very start of solids she quicly increased her breakfast intake until at a year she was already on 2 weetbix with milk + a piece of toast + fruit) it woudl take dd2 2-3 days to eat that much at breakfast

HTH
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 15:56:15 pm »
I think that looks great!  I have spent so much time and energy worrying about Lilah's food intake (which is nearly always less than you have listed, and at times much less), and I'm DONE with it!  My approach now is to just offer nutritious foods whenever she asks to eat, keep offering the meals, but not fretting if she doesn't eat them.  My DD is on the slim side, too.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 15:59:27 pm »
It looks great! I would cut out the peanut butter until she is about 2 or 3 though as it is a common allergen. Everything else looks absolutely perfect.

Offline Deb_in_oz

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 22:30:37 pm »
just want to comment on the peanut butter - the recommendation here is 12 mo UNLESS there is a family history of allergy.. if no one on either side has issues you are safe to try it (we have done so here) and with a child who has a picky attitude to food i woudl suggest keeping it in as it is loaded with protein and calories which you woudl otherwise be worrying about.  just my 2 cents.

Offline tullyma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 23:23:21 pm »
Thanks so much for your replies  :) I'm feeling a lot better now. I was worried about the snacking, I didn't realise it was the norm. Also worried about her low vege intake but from other posts here that's norm too.

I had the same idea about peanut butter - good protein and fat content. She's been eating it since 12 mths with no issues.

One thing I did forget to mention (hopefully someone will be able to comment on this) - She LOVES cashews and we have been buying the roasted + salted type. Is the salt content a bad thing?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 23:26:38 pm by tullyma »

Offline Deb_in_oz

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 03:50:27 am »
depends on the nuts you buy but a lot of the "salted" varieties i have had are very high in salt (make my lips pucker sometimes  :)) so woudl probably avoid it

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 08:45:32 am »
It is true that peanut butter shouldn't be given at 12 months if there is a history of allergy in the family. There is in ours so that is why I maybe suggested that :) The diet looks great anyway

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 23:39:32 pm »
We also have been giving Lilah peanut butter since about 12-13 months with no problems.  Lately, it's become a staple.  As we are vegetarian, Lilah is a picky eater, and have no food allergies in the family, it seems silly not to offer it for us.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09