Author Topic: Dropping a bottle - advice please!  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Mamastalawatt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Me and my beautiful boy!
Dropping a bottle - advice please!
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:03:42 am »
Hi,

My lo is 7 1/2 months old and his routine is:-

7am        Wake and breast feed
8am        Breakfast (cereal and toast)

11am      Bottle  (5oz)
12pm      Lunch (savoury + dessert + few nibbles of finger food)

3pm        Bottle (3oz)
4pm        Tea (Savoury + desert + few nibbles finger of food)

6.30pm   Bottle (6oz)
7pm        Bed

I've put the amounts he actually seems to take.  I dropped his dream feed a few days ago because he hasn't been taking enough milk during the day and thought this might encourage him.  It didn't seem to work! (My HV didn't seem to concerned when I discussed it with her this mornign because he's eating solids well - but I still think he's too young to be taking less than 18-21oz a day)

On another thread someone suggested dropping a bottle during the day, but I am concerned that because I breastfeed first thing in the morning, I can't be sure how much he s taking.

Should I drop the morning or the afternoon bottle, if I'm going to?  And should I leave it a bit longer as I've only just dropped the dream feed?  (The one good effect is that dropping the dream feed seems to have helped him to sleep through the night!)

Many thanks!

Mama

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Dropping a bottle - advice please!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 19:24:36 pm »
Hi Mama

We dropped to 3 bottles about the same time as this. IF you decide to drop a bottle you would feed:

7am breastfeed

1pm bottle or before his nap but not fed to sleep - this bottle time is flexible

6.30pm bottle

I've put the amounts he actually seems to take.  I dropped his dream feed a few days ago because he hasn't been taking enough milk during the day and thought this might encourage him.  It didn't seem to work! (My HV didn't seem to concerned when I discussed it with her this mornign because he's eating solids well - but I still think he's too young to be taking less than 18-21oz a day)

On another thread someone suggested dropping a bottle during the day, but I am concerned that because I breastfeed first thing in the morning, I can't be sure how much he s taking.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=69227.msg532682#msg532682

Mama I wanted to show you this thread, it explains there is a difference in calories per oz. from breastfeeding and bottlefeeding.
Lauren x