Author Topic: Is 6am early waking?  (Read 868 times)

Offline Ula

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: August 24, 2006, 13:01:25 pm »
My DS is 5.5 months. We started the BW last week, using PU/PD. It's worked quite well - reduced night waking from every 1-2 hours, to one feed at ~3. He wakes up at 4 and 5, but usually settles himself back by himself, or (like this morning) I'll do PU/PD to get him to go back to sleep. We're still working on establishing a day routine, so his naps are a bit erratic, but getting better. It seems that we're going through a bit of regression right now, but that's a different story. For info, I EBF, try to do that every 4 hours, do a dreamfeed and that one extra feed at 3am.

My question is that he wakes up at 6am for the day. I know that the BW routine starts at 7am, but I can't get him to go back to sleep after 6am. Is this considered an early waking? He wakes up happy - babbles away to himself. Funny thing is that he won't really take a feed at this point - just a snack if I offer. I know that babies normally wake up between 6 and 7, and I'll accept 6 (or my DH will, since he takes care of him in the morning) if this is really his natural wake up time. But usually, by around 7am, DS is starting to show signs of tiredness, which makes us think that 6am is too early for him.

Will this iron itself out as our routine becomes an actual routine? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks a lot.
BTW - I think most of the pertinent info is in this post, but if not, here are the answers to all those questions...

When you have problems with night waking it can be a challenge to pin point the problem. The following are the basic questions we need answered in order to help you best. Please send this info with your post and we’ll be more easily able to help you.

Thank you for any help!!!

How old is your child? 5.5
What’s his/her daily routine? Starts at 6am, try to do 4h EASY
What’s nap routine? Just introduced it - diaper change, swaddle one arm in, look out the window, sing a lullabye, draw the blinds, turn on fan for noise, and lay him down
How long are naps? vary, but trying to extend them to at least 1.5. Right now usually wakes up after the critical times of 30, 45, 1h, and then I can usually get more sleep from him for a total of 1.5.
What's bedtime routine? Time? Bath, BF, song, sleep at 7pm
Do you bottle or breastfed?? BF
How much? or how long? 10 minutes - give or take
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) starting to do both
How many wakes per night?
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Up very short time - 5-10 min
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Sometimes crying, sometimes happy. I reswaddle (one arm only - more like a sign that it's still nap time), and he usually roles over and goes to sleep
What have you tried to settle?? Reduced many night wakings. He can typically settle himself back down.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? Play, go for a walk. Usually less than 2 hours
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? Not yet
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) NO
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? Used to be the boob, but no more.
Do they have a lovie? NO

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Re: Is 6am early waking?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 14:51:27 pm »
Hi

I think the answer is that 6am is too early if it's too early for you!  If you're happy with it and DS wakes up happy then it's not a problem.  If you'd rather he slept later then I would encourage him to stay in his room until a later time by offering a feed when he wakes (even if it's just a snack as you say).  Treat it as a nightfeed and put him straight back down and hopefully he'll get used to going back to sleep.  I'd then wake him at around 7/7.30 and offer him another top-up feed to enable you to keep your feeds on track for the rest of the day.

Good luck!
Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)