Author Topic: HELP S/P not helping after 2-weeks...  (Read 791 times)

Offline ABS

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 25, 2006, 19:09:23 pm »
I've had my 5 1/2 month old daughter on a 3.5 EASY for about a month now (she was on 3-hour EASY since birth) and we've been battling short naps 30-45 min. I've been trying to use s/p to put her back to sleep and it doesn't seem to be helping...I have to shush pat for 30-60 min to get her back to sleep. She will drift off (light sleep) often but most times never get back into deep sleep.

It is hard to have only 30 min at the beginning of her nap time and then spend the remainder of her nap in her room at her door. I am starting to loose it....

THe only time it seems to help in truly extending sleep is when I get in her room before she stirs too much. I'm wondering if I should try the WTS method. My daughter was 6 weeks early so developmentally she is not ready for PU/PD and I've found that the stimulation of the patting is actually sometimes too much. I am desperate to get her to nap longer and don't know how best to proceed. She ends up being overtired all the time because she is not napping well....she used to nap for 1.5 hours or longer without waking. UGH!

Offline ABS

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: HELP S/P not helping after 2-weeks...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 18:58:05 pm »
So I actually think I was trying to keep her awake too long...I wasn't starting the soothing process before she was suppossed to be asleep early enough. This was making putting her down a nightmare and causing our little angle to get overtired. So I've been trying to pd much earlier and it seems to be working a little. I am working on having her catch up on some much needed sleep during the day to I am having her sleep as long as possible and s/p seems (sometimes) to be working.

BTW I think since she just entered the period where she is much more aware this is affecting her naps as well. So she hears something outside her room and it wakes her. She still can't put herself back to sleep on her own yet so I have to go in 3-5 times per nap to keep her sleeping. Now we are just trying to correct for her overtired state...it unfortunately went on so long that it has started to impact her night sleep as well. She has been waking 2-3 times within one hour of putting her down and waking a little early as well. Our ideal day would go something like this...

7:30 wake up & E
8:00 A
9:00 Nap (2 Hours) - winddown at 8:45 or so
11:00 Eat
11:20 A/Walk
1:00 Nap (winddown 12:30-12:45)
3:00 Eat
3:30 A
4:30 Nap (1-1 1/2 Hr)
5:30 or 6 Bottle
6:30 Cereal, Bath, Massage
7:00 pm top off & Bed
10:30 DF

Right now I am focusing on getting our girl back on track with naps and hope that by fixing her naps her night waking issues are solved as well. I think she is totally dependant on us putting her to sleep for naps and bedtime. During naptime she need me to s/p back to sleep...I am wondering when/if she will ever learn to put herself back to sleep using this method.