Author Topic: Really REALLY spirited toddler ONLY wants Mommy at bedtime!  (Read 8808 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Really REALLY spirited toddler ONLY wants Mommy at bedtime!
« on: August 26, 2006, 03:36:14 am »
Honestly, I'm more than happy to be the one to put Natalie to bed, the little ham, but once the sun has set and bedtime approaches and she gets to her room for bed, she wants NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, to do with ANYONE who isn't ME!  :'( :'( :'(

Dh has put her down before, puts her down for naps no sweat if I'm not home, but bedtime, fageddaboutit!!!! :( :( :( She doesn't just cry - she SCREAMS bloody murder. When I come in the room at long last, she sobs and snuffles into me and falls asleep still breathing a little raggedly from crying so hard, poor thing - she is just shy of puking, she's crying so hard. :( To top it off, I'm usually in the next room trying to get J to bed, and I end up trading places with DH and then going back to J's room 5 minutes later once N's gone down for ME after 20 straight minutes of bloodcurdling yelling at the top of her lungs for DH. Poor guy is starting to get a complex, KWIM? She loves him to death, seeks him out, plays with him while she's awake, but come bedtime, it's like only the smell and feel and sound of Mommy will do. Having me in the room with him doesn't work - she has to be on MY lap for a few minutes to snuggle, and it has to be ME in the room with her once she's in her crib for a couple minutes while she begins to wind down, and then she's fine on her own - just not with DH. Ditto for night wakings - I swear her yells would wake the neighborhood and I wouldn't be surprised to see men with badges at my door at 1AM wondering what we're doing to our kid!!!

Anyway,  when I'm not there, it  seems to be a trust-breaking issue with my HIGHLY Spirited sweetie, so I'm loath to just MAKE her go to bed with DH if I don't have to resort to that w/o losing my sanity. And forget about a sitter; she has to be sleeping/napping and it has to be someone she knows so even though she'll still scream bloody murder, at least it won't be to an unfamiliar scary face.  :'( :'( :'(

Anyone have any advice? Josie is stubborn, but this one has her beat by a WIIIIIIDE mile on this issue!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Really REALLY spirited toddler ONLY wants Mommy at bedtime!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 15:54:29 pm »
Honestly Deb I would just go with it for now and keep trying with daddy periodically.  If you don't mind putting her to bed then it really isn't a problem right? ;D

I think as she gets older it may change and who know one day she may only want daddy to put her to bed.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 18:36:59 pm »
Quote (selected)
Honestly, I'm more than happy to be the one to put Natalie to bed,

i'm with Lana on this one... if you really don't mind, i would just keep doing it, especially since you are reaching the point of trustbreaking.

the only other thing i can think of is that you would have to ease your dh into it very gradually.  like, maybe for a week he sits next to you while you read the story, & then you put her to bed.  then, maybe he reads her a story for a week or two, and then you put her to bed.  and so on and so on....
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 18:41:43 pm »
It's not that I mind putting her to bed. It's kinda sweet, actually. BUT - it's a problem when I'm already doing something, or when I might want to GO somewhere in the evening BEFORE she goes to bed. It's also a big bummer for DH. :(

The nightwaking problem is particualrly bad right now as her eyeteeth (canines) are coming in; two nights ago she was up for an hour and a half, and last night she was up for OVER THREE HOURS, and whenever she saw DH come in instead of me she started screaming bloody murder, and then Josie got woken up.... today has NOT been a nice day with everyone sleep-deprived. :( It really would be nice if she'd let DH and I spell each other nights.

Anyway.... gotta try to catch a nap.

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 14:39:10 pm »
My spirited lo has NEVER been put down to sleep by DH--she will have nothing to do with him.  Yesterday morning I tried to sleep in because I had been awake with my older dd in the night because she had been frightened by a huge clap of thunder right over our house.  My younger dd had a poopee diaper and she screamed the house down when my dh tried to change her so my "sleep in"  lasted about 10 minutes,  so I can sympathize.  I just keep hoping tht when she's a bit older she will turn into a daddy's girl like my older daughter did!