Author Topic: How to change up the menu ?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: August 27, 2006, 19:57:12 pm »
My little 14 month old loves to feed himself.  He hates trying new things (even though I continuously offer).  It seems he eats the same thing everyday and I want to and try to vary it up for him but new  things he just squishes around on his tray or throws it on the floor.  I have tried letting him eat off my plate or my husbands but no go.  He will eat the items if they are cut up small and fed to him.  How can I get him to take more and any other suggestions to try to get him to eat a wider variety of foods esp fruits and veggies?

He currently eats:

bread/toast
rice cakes
mum mum's
nutrios
crackers

apples
bananas
(have tried berries, grapes, blueberries--squishes with finger or on floor or spits out??texture?)
bought gerber graduates dried fruit--hated berry and banana
applesauces--peach, mango, blueberry, apple --all unsweetened loves these

chicken fingers
ham and turkey--only if squished between grilled cheese and doesn't see them
egg (we have one everyday b/c he loves this)
homemade beefstew/chicken pot pie
beef goulasch
meat sauce
baby pasta in cheese sauce
broccoli and carrots--only if I feed him
squash and sweet potato--only if I feed him
baby yoghurt

Any other finger food suggestions and how do I encourage him to self feed veggies/more fruits/meats--again meats the only one he eats is chicken fingers everything else he'll eat if I feed him.

Thanks,

Sabine

binxyboo

Re: How to change up the menu ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 20:43:44 pm »
I don't have any suggestions, but your lo eats a wider variety than my DS at nearly 13 months, still on mostly purees and yoghurt all fed by me, :-\ finger feeds veggies, crackers, cereal etc.

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 23:43:50 pm »
How did you get your lo to take veggies?  I have tried all kinds cooked and cut up and he refuses but will gladly eat if I feed him...
Suggestions?

Sabine

Offline home alone

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 23:54:35 pm »
Hi
sometimes coating the veggies with puree veggies ( i use jarred veggies/fruits) work. 
My lo like rice so I buy sticky rice or sushi rice and mix it with finely chopped veggie to make little rice balls. ( i know some people don't want to feed their lo white rice so it's up to you).
I also fry up onion then add tomato and broccoli and steam it with little bit of chicken stock or water and stirr it with macaroni pasta + cheese sprinkes.

HTH
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 18:11:42 pm »
will your lo self feed this?  my lo will eat any veggies if spoon fed not just on his own.

sabine

Offline home alone

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 23:40:30 pm »
Hi

Actually, she started to dislike veggies but when I introduce them as finger food she started to eat veggies.  I know couple of other mothers who have said the same thing.  If you lo only wants to be spoon fed by you, i think it's still good idea to introduce finger food every time.  They seem to be one way for a while then change for some unknown reason.

hth
Monica
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]