Author Topic: W2S for Extending 1 year old's naps - not a prop?  (Read 805 times)

Offline Lauren_Mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
W2S for Extending 1 year old's naps - not a prop?
« on: August 27, 2006, 22:09:48 pm »
From a toddler point-of-view, since my baby Sophia is a year old.  Regarding the Wake-to-Sleep method - where you go in and start patting their tummy at 30 minutes (while still asleep).  Is this different than going in quickly to resettle - in that it's less likely to create a prop?  Tracy talks about "Respond but don't rescue" - I just want to make sure the Wake-to-Sleep for nap extentions isn't a Rescue in the older baby's/toddler's mind.

Sophia started nap training in her crib a week ago. She's consistently been waking up at about 30 to 45 minutes.  Sometimes she puts herself back to sleep (but only after the first wake-up - I can't get her back to sleep after she's slept an hour). I'm trying to get her to sleep a solid 1 hour in the morning and 1.5 hours in the afternoon.  I want to resettle her after she wakes but I'm afraid she'll come to need my assistance and the brief awakenings.   What has your experience been?

I've been trying to get her to settle herself to sleep at the naps.  Sometimes if I missed the sleep cues (she's really trying to hide them I think lately).

And thoughts are appreciated!

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: W2S for Extending 1 year old's naps - not a prop?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 14:52:39 pm »
Not sure what you mean by "Sophia started nap training in her crib one week ago".  Did she sleep somewhere else before or is it that you have just been trying to extend npas for one week?

How long has she been taking a short nap and is it usually for both of them?  I just want to get a sense of what she usually did because it may simply be that at her age she may only be able to do 2 short naps because she is getting ready to drop one nap.  Also a schedule would probably help.