Author Topic: 19 mos. old still waking up....CIO?  (Read 831 times)

momminluv

19 mos. old still waking up....CIO?
« on: August 28, 2006, 04:12:07 am »
My little 19 mo. old dd still wakes up a few times at night.  DH now gets up and goes into her room and reassures her for a few seconds and then hops back into bed.  If I go in there, she'll demand to nurse.  DH and I are wondering if it is now ok to let her CIO?  Understand though, that we hate the sound of crying...but, we also do not understand at this point why dd cannot get herself back to sleep.  We have worked so hard with her and been so patient.  But, seriously, we're at the end of our threads and have had enough.  What should we do? 

andibig

Re: 19 mos. old still waking up....CIO?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 05:55:49 am »
i think some LOs do take a long time to finally learn how to resettle themselves. i have heard some don't start doing it until they are about 2! :o.
Have you recently stopped nursing her back to sleep?.if DH is happy to carry on going in then i would continue with that and she may learn that finally once there is no nursing she will go back to sleep.
when she wakes up in the night is she crying or is it just a mantra cry?

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 17:35:01 pm »
I'm going to just move this over to the toddler sleep forum cause I think you will get more replies there.

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 17:49:26 pm »
Hi and welcome to the toddler forum!

As you might have found out, here at BW site we do not encourage any CIO or controlled crying approach. As Tracy used to say, "there's always a gentler solution to every problem, we just have to find it".

The reasons why your dd is waking at night can be very variable. I'd recommend you to check on the FAQ section at the top of this forum under a thread called Most Common Sleep BUsters and see if some of the cases described there, ring a bell.

Your dd is too young to be manipulative or "spoiled". It could very well be the case that she's waking at night because of an habit (a bad one, but still a habit) and we'd have to break that habit with one sleep training technique that you would think suitable to your lifestile and temper. Sometimes as parents we think that we have spoiled our toddlers or have created highly demanding kiddos and we have to reverse it by letting them cry. I can assure you that a toddler under 2 crying is mostly because s/he has a real need that needs to be met. Even if it takes long and hard work, is totally worth it because if you work on a solution that doesn't involve leaving her to cry by herself, you'll be raising an independent girl that will be aware of the love mom and dad have for her, and will be confident on you being on her side when she needs you.

To come up with a plan, I'd suggest you to post what a typicall day looks like for her, to rule out overtiredness or think of possible tweakings to her daily schedule (that could solve night wakings, as odd as it seems).

I will also suggest you to check on the FAQ section for the thread called Teaching Independent Sleep, where you will learn about the different sleep training techniques available for toddlers and choose one that you think you can handle.

Good luck and keep us posted. I promise that with consistancy we can help you work this out! HUGS meantime!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake