Author Topic: Stories of Milk/Egg Allergies Disappering??  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Carter'sMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
Stories of Milk/Egg Allergies Disappering??
« on: August 28, 2006, 13:24:01 pm »
Hello all!

I was just wondering if anyone's lo had "outgrown" their milk or egg allergies?  Everyone tells me that Carter will outgrow them ... that is except his allergy Dr.  When we went to see the Dr (back in Feb/Mar) he said that 90% of babies that have milk allergies get them from their mother.  I said that I didn't have milk allergies and he said I just don't know it yet!  :o  He then proceeded to tell me that in a few years when I suddenly develop MS or Crohn's disease, or a few other not so nice diseases that will be my milk allergy manifesting itself in a different form  :o :o  He also said that babies never get rid of milk allergies either instead they just manifest themselves into something different (like the above mentioned diseases).  So you can imagine how awful I felt for my poor baby  ???

Anyway .. the reason for my question is that Carter has been able to eat hard cheeses for awhile now and is also suddenly able to tolerate yogurt and milk cooked into things.  He is also mostly ok for eggs!  I am very pleased as it means there are more food choices available but I am worried that it is affecting him in ways that I can't see.  When Carter was first diagnosed (blood and skin test) he would get hives all over his poor face if somebody so much as drank milk and gave him a kiss on the cheek.  I had to carry epi-pens with me everywhere that I went just in case of a bad reaction.

So ... should I get my hopes up?  Are there any success stories or is this a lifelong thing?

TIA  :)
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: Stories of Milk/Egg Allergies Disappering??
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 13:40:52 pm »
I outgrew a milk intolerance (not necessarily an allergy) when I was small - I no longer have it. I do seem to have passed it onto ds, but he is now able to take a small amount of dairy, ie a bit of cheese, etc, so I'm hoping he's coming out of it.

May I suggest that if your dr speaks to you like that, you change your dr?
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline ks6

• Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 13:42:38 pm »
Ds seems to be outgrowing MSPI, but sometimes I hear that an intolerance is different than an allergy, so I don't know if that helps you.  My best friend's dd has an egg allergy, and their allergist said that many of the allergies gotten at this young age are outgrown.  Just another doctor's opinion.  Hope that makes you feel better.

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 15:40:30 pm »
Slap that doc!!  I had an egg allergy as a babe.  Hives and an asthma attack.  Still have asthma, no food triggers.  On the other hand, I have had a test that measures how long stuff stays in your stomach.  PArt of my reflux work up.  The test material is was put into eggs.  Seems it takes me a loong time to digest them, but no other problems.   :)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Carter'sMama

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 21:08:51 pm »
Caroline - I would love to get rid of that Dr!!  Unfortunately in Windsor he is one of 2 and you have to wait months to get into see either of them ...

Everyone else - thanks for the hope!!
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010