Author Topic: Confused about water temp. for bottle  (Read 884 times)

Offline Johnsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Confused about water temp. for bottle
« on: August 29, 2006, 14:48:52 pm »
Hi everyone

I've been reading alot of posts trying to get some of my questions answered and for the most part been successful.  Unfortunately I'm confused about water temperature for mixing formula since I've read posts that say formula be mixed with hot tap water (that has been boiled) and others that say boiled water should be left at room temp. and then mixed with the formula. 
Does very hot water kill nutrients??
And what about using hot water in order to kill the bacteria?? 
I've been reading too many posts and got info overload.

I'm presently using a thermos to keep the boiled tap water in so it stays hot for when my hubby needs it to feed ds while I'm at work.  He will run the bottle under cold tap water if it's too hot for lo.  Is this ok.  Or should we use room temp. water and heat it in a bottle warmer? (which is what I did the first few days before reading some posts)...
Help

Offline woopster

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Re: Confused about water temp. for bottle
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 14:56:06 pm »
Hi,
The method you use is fine!!
I use cooled boiled water and just store bottles of water in the fridge. When I need a bottle, I stand it in a jug of boiling water and when it is warm enough I add the formula.
This also helps if I am out and about.  I just take bottles of water and add formula.  It means you get a longer 'shelf life' for want of a better phrase.  Ready made bottles should be used within an hour once they are out of the fridge.

You can also give you baby milk at room temp, but again you would have to add the formula as required.

Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Grace's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 23:55:21 pm »
We have never boiled wate  :or, we just use filtered water.  What we do is fill all of her bottles the night before so that when it is time for a feed they are already at room temperature and all we have to do is add the formula and shake.  Our dr. told us that there is no health benefit to a baby drinking warm water.  They can drink it cold, room temperature or warm and it will be the same.  So, I would suggest doing what you feel comfortable with and you lo will be fine.   :D
-Mel
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline Jonahs Mom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 01:23:34 am »
I agree with the others. If you are really unsure, just follow the instructions on the can.
We boil tap water, then put into a bottle, put the bottle into a mug of cold water and once it has cooled to a good temperature, add the powder. Of course, we only give one bottle per day, if that.
If your LO is exclusively bottle fed, you could always make a jug of formula each morning, keep it in the fridge, and then fill the bottles as needed and warm to room temperature.
I have also heard that after your baby is 4 months old, it is okay to use water from the tap instead of boiling it. I don't think I am ready for that though...
~Keri~