Author Topic: should I change nap time?  (Read 960 times)

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« on: August 29, 2006, 15:59:53 pm »
Margot ( 24mos) has had some variability in her sleep lately--some nights she sleeps close to 11 hours with a nap of 1 hour 15 minutes, other nights sleeping 9.5 hours with a 3 hour nap.  Before that she was had a very regular sleep pattern of a 10 hour night sleep from 8-6 with a 2 hour nap at 1.  For the last few days she has gone back closer to her regular night sleep with the exception of shaving 15 minutes off each side so she is sleeping 8:15 to 5:45--only 9.5 hours, but as I said she doesn't usually sleep  a particularly long time at night.  the problem is that her naps are still between 1.5 and 2 hours so some days she is only getting 11 hours sleep, instead of the longer sleep she used to take when she would have a particularly short night's sleep.  Last night she woke at 4 and didn't fall asleep again until 6, when she slept an extra 45 minutes. Her night wakings in the past are usually from overtiredness.  She seems healthy and isn't showing any signs of 2 year molars.

My question is whether I should move her nap earlier.     I know that sometime during the 3rd year the nap usually gets shorter so I was wondering if the time was coming off her night sleep instead.  I know when she gets overtired a long nap is helpful but what she really needs to get her back on track is a good long nights' sleep. That's why I was wondering if I moved the nap earlier if it would allow an earlier bedtime and more sleep.  My only concern is that it won't help the problem--only shift her day earlier and 5:45 is already early enough, thank you!!

anyone else experience something similar or have any thoughts on this?

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: should I change nap time?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 16:41:25 pm »
I'd say give it a go. Even though nap is to be expected to shorten its lenght during the 3rd year, it is also to be expected that night sleep lenghtens a bit too (to compensate with the shortening nap). So if Margot is shortening both, i'd put some money on overtiredness. Is she having a developmental leap lately? 24 months is a peak in talking and motor skills so she might be feeling a little too "plugged in" to relax and rest properly, so by giving her oportunities to rest you might compensate that. I'm sorry I can't offer much more, that's all I can think of but my guess is that bringing her nap a little forward might help her (and you!) to catch up on lost zz's.

Good luck! I hope this phase passes soon!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline imsmum

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 17:58:19 pm »
Thanks Florencia--I thought the night sleep should be lengthening a bit too, and that's what I thought was happening as she did seem to be doing that a bit on her own.  I asked the nanny to try to get Margot down early today so  we'll see how it goes.

Oh, sorry, nothing much happening developmentally, she's been talking up a storm for a while now and has always been a little monkey!

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: should I change nap time?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 14:57:59 pm »
Just caught your post, Harrison has been "playing up" over the last couple of days! We have had a beautiful run of 6am wakes (after 10.5hrs overnight) (I think) quiet in his cot, and roughly 2 hour naps, but for the last few days he has been waking crying and earlier than normal - 5am this morning - and having broken naps! So it seems like overtiredness, but I don't know from where!! I can't see any signs of teeth either, but then they are probably moving around in there so perhaps it's enough just to disturb sleep a bit?!

I tend to try and get H down for naps earlier and hence bedtime earlier it normally works for a day or so. (Aiming for a 7pm bedtime tonight!) The problem is if you get a short nap and an early naptime(LOL)! Last night he didn't sleep until 8pm (after a broken 2 hour nap waking at 3pm) and then woke at 5am - so I am sure the later bedtimes just make it worse!!

Hope you get Margot sorted quickly!

Justine

Offline imsmum

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 21:16:36 pm »
Hey Justine--same thing with Margot as far as the shorter sleeps coming out of the blue.

Was furious with the nanny yesterday as she decided to have a playdate in the morning and didn't get Margot down early for her nap--well, 15 minutes.  Margot napped for 2 hours but then was so tired she slept frorm 7:30pm-6:30 this morning.  When I checked in this afternoon Margot had gone down at 1 (her old time--obviously having communication problems with the nanny!!) but was still sleep at 3:30--hope that doesn't backfire tonight.

The nanny is off for the next few days.  Margot always takes longer naps with her than me so I hope things go ok and that we're not heading into a short nap overtiredness spiral again.

Good luck with Harrison--I hope he had a good nap and is sleeping well for you tonight.

Caroline