Author Topic: will not let go ....  (Read 1022 times)

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
will not let go ....
« on: August 29, 2006, 19:21:57 pm »
DS (now 19 months) used to go to bed happily, playing/chatting to his puppy friend.

last week, he was teething, actually i am not sure if his teeth has come out yet, seem to be getting better as there has been no nightwakings for the past 3 or 4 nights.

but now every time when i put him to bed, he will cling to me and doesn't want to let go.
once i put him in the cot, he would call mummy mummy for a minute or so, then sleep in 10-15 mins.

is this sep. anxiety? what can i do to make him go to bed happily once again?
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: will not let go ....
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 19:42:24 pm »
IF there are no other sleep disturbances, i'd say go with the flow, stay with him (as long as you don't have to do it for more than 10 mins) and if it gets to be something that lasts for over 2 weeks, then restort to walk in/ walk out.

It seems pretty natural that toddlers, after a particularly stressing time (such as teething) need extra mommy time/cuddles when is bye bye time. It's totally normal and OK as long as his other sleep aspects are doing fine. Try to spend more time during the wind down (it is also normal that toddlers react negatively to a rushing routine and try to express that making mommy stay for longer periods in the room) and to talk him during daytime about what a big boy he's now and how great it is to spend the night in his crib. Practice with stuffed animals/dolls the bedtime routine, putting them to bed so he gets to see that's something normal that everyone does.

Good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake