Author Topic: Toddler Activity Ideas  (Read 38144 times)

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Toddler Activity Ideas
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 22:34:00 pm »
Here are some things my ds and I do together:

I made him a house out of cardboard, cut him a window and put a little shelf inside.  He takes pics of cars (I cut out) and tapes them on the box.  I give him sticker and he sticks them on the box. He puts his toy animals in the box also.

I made him a cardboard oven with a cupboard.  While I cook, he takes the pots and pans and cooks, mixes, puts lids on, etc.  He borrows my spoons and cups and feeds teddies.

My son loves his toy cars.  He has a little madarine orange box full of them. He totes them everywhere.  We make tunnels out of his blocks, we use the blocks to put in dump trucks, we even make garages out of shoe boxes.

Playdough and measuring cups are a lifesaver - pop in his highchair and away he works.

Crayons, felts and big paper. Watch the felts though.

Books- get a big bin and throw all the books in. Have it be accessible - rotate books every week or so from the library.  Think of new themes too - eg. The Zoo - animal books - Things that go- car and truck books.

Tent and ball set.  He loves hiding, and jumping and running into the balls.

Making towers out of anything!  Once he took everything in his room and made a huge tower in the hallway.  He called "mommy, mommy" and when I came he pointed to the tower full of stuff.  He was so proud of himself.  It had pillows, blankets, his potty chair, his puzzles, his clothes, his diapers - you name it!

On you mark, get set, go!  On go- I raise my arm and let the little guy race to the other end of the hall.  He loves it and races all the way back to do it again!

Going for a walk always breaks the day.  Even if it's only for 20 min.  It's good to get outside.

Playing with velcro curlers - As I do my makeup, my little guy likes to take out my velcro rollers and play with them.  Usually, he takes the small one out of the next one then out of the medium one to the large one.  There are 6 big ones all filled like this.  He gets them all out and is quite proud of them all on the carpet.  He also likes how they stick together.

If you are like me and leave your laundry till last minute when you have 5 baskets full- this makes for fun time folding.  Little son likes it when I dump the big loads of dry clothes on the carpet.  I fold and he helps but when he gets bored, he likes to drive his toy cars through the bumps the clothes make.  After everything is folded, he helps put things away.

Dancing with Raffi - my ds is hooked on Raffi.  He dances and spins and runs and hops- it's a great time.

Playing doctor.  Just now, my son will lie on the carpet and say Help. I pretend to call 911 and take him to his room.  I tell him not to move and go get Dr. Teddy.  Dr. Teddy takes my son's temperature, heartbeat, gives him pretend medicine and water.  Then a hug and lots of rest.  Then we play it all again.  The same procedure but he sure loves it.

A play car mat is wonderful.  I used to make them on paper which was fine but then I found one that is a carpet at Home Depot.  What a great toy!  My son loves driving his cars along the roads and stops at the bus, school, police station, etc.

Blowing  bubbles/ looking at pictures of mom, dad, grandma, etc.

I filled an old purse with old cars - like old credit cards, movie rental cards, used gift cards and canadian tire money.  My little guy loves going throught the purse and pulling out all the cards from the wallet.  Eventually, I will fill it with toy keys, and photos, and whatever else I can think of.

Well, hope these help. Thanks for everyone else's suggestions.

Offline Jess-J&E

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 17:10:53 pm »
 I just wanted to share some activies that were really a big hit for us ;D

-I went to the dollar store and bought a pack of plastic easter eggs and a basket.  We do practice egg hunts and he loves it.  I keep it to one or two rooms and he loves searching for them.  I have also filled each egg with a little snack when I need more time ;) and then he has a surprise in each one. Great when I am feeding the little one!!

- A huge plastic tub of white rice filled with all sorts of containers (measuring cups, funnels, bottles, spoons, mini shovels etc. )  for pouring, shoveling and whatever else he can think of.  I set him on a large flat sheet to play and then when he is finished I can gather all of the spilled rice in the center to put back in the bin.  Whatever is left I just shake outside.

-I bought a cheap package of clear light weight cleaning gloves.  Fill each one with water as much as possible and a bit of food coloring,  and tie off the end like a balloon.  Toss them in the full bath tub and he has a ball with the "hand balloons" as he calls them.  Some soapy water makes them slippery and fun to try and catch!

-I gave him a glue stick and a bag of those little cotton pom poms you can get at the craft store and I let him glue them all over a piece of paper.  I even gave him some regular glue to squeeze and press the poms into.  Now we have lovely refrigerator art ;D

Hope someone can use these!  I have a few more but the little one beckons! Gotta run
Jess
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 17:50:39 pm by Jess&Ethan »
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
Re: Ideas to Keep an Active and Clingy Toddler Occupied
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 17:22:55 pm »
My DS loves, loves, loves tactile time. 

I let him go on a chair at the sink.  I give him colanders, measuring cups, turkey baster, rubber ducks etc...he could stay there for hours. I let the water run on a very small drip at lukewarm temp.  Yes, it is messy, but....I put a towel or a tarp underneath and he is good about "keep the water in the sink please!"

I also fill his old baby tub with oatmeal or cornflakes or rice crispies to scoop and muck about with.  I give him scoopers, small gardening tools, cups, and I throw in some toy palstic spiders, snakes, cars, trucks etc... to play around with in there.  Again I put the tarp underneath.

I just bought a Step 2 Sand and Water table for the spring / summer, it has an umbrella, I can't wait to use it.

HTH

Aisling x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 20:00:32 pm »
She has recently started to get interested in wooden puzzles. We have two but maybe I'll get one or two more. She often needs my help for them still though.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 23:55:52 pm by Erin M »
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 00:20:09 am »
Here is a link to one of the block sets Tyler loves.  It is very "babyish"...but it occupies him for quite a while.

http://www.farmgoodsforkids.com/c5672-lego-shape-sorter-toy-bucket.html

We also bought him a "piggy bank" made by Lego...I think.  I will try to find the link for that and post it.
Judy

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 00:21:36 am »
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-J2462-Learning-Piggy/dp/B000A88KOA

Here is the piggy bank we bought for Tyler recently.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 23:56:09 pm by Erin M »
Judy

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 00:28:25 am »
Katie has these and they seem to keep her occupied for quite awhile:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-3/qid=1174437848/ref=sr_1_3/602-7437755-9291022?ie=UTF8&asin=B0002Q92TM

They've been one of her favorite toys for longer than I can remember. 

As for the wooden puzzles, they make ones that are pretty simple and once Katie started getting the hang of them, she really took off with that. 

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 03:03:29 am »
When I was in the end of preg with L & I had really bad sciatica, so could hardly move we did some of the following

Money box with big coins... ds didn't put much in his mouth so that was ok
container of pasta & different containers to move it from & too... still popular here, although older child has rice/lentils& popcorn.
container of flour... "fun" to clean up though.
Posting shapes ... big cardboard box with a hole in it & then packing stuff.
my Sis is about to move & although her ds is approaching 3, she gave him a suitcase & let him pack up stuff... pack in one place, unpack in another & carry it between the 2 rooms.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 10:47:15 am »
You guys are great. Stacy - we don't have a kiddie chair for her (yet anyway, buying a kiddie table w chairs for new apartment) but that sounds like a neat idea. I'm worried she'd put the rice in her mouth... Same goes for coins, Kate. Could try the dry pasta though (large pieces). I wish she didn't put everything in her mouth - but she always has!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline maggie2

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 15:42:38 pm »
Haven't read through all the replies, so forgive me if this was already mentioned. 

Ds is also 19 months, and I know what you mean about the coloring all over everything!  We have this neat little mat called an "Aqua Doodle".  It goes on the floor and comes with a special marker that you fill with water - it only colors on the mat and if they try to color anywhere else, it won't work.  You can also purchase seperate little stamp shapes and things. 

I think I'll read through all the posts now to get some ideas for myself!!!

Maggie

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 19:49:36 pm »
Ooooh, Stacy - didn't even think about Connect 4 - good idea! I think my parents may still have one if not maybe will get one after the move (April 6). LOL with the aqua doodle - I think Marisa might try to do that too! And her grandparents (my IL's) are going to buy her that fridge alphabet magnet set - the one from Leapfrog I think? Again after we move (won't work on stainless steel fridge here but new place is white fridge).

Very funny with Kaleb and the chair and the lemon though!

Will try that with the Pringles too. What do you put in there? Of course I'll have to eat all the Pringles first!

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 08:25:40 am »
How did I not see this til now? I will have to read through tonight and get some ideas. I keep forgetting he has got bigger and can do more things ::)

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. This will be such a help :-*

Faye :-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Offline Grace's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 00:27:12 am »
Thanks for the thread.  It's a huge help.

Mel
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline writelydivided

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Jack, Maggie, Sam
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2007, 05:26:11 am »
Absolutely wonderful thread. I've picked out a few ideas, but can anyone give suggestions specifically for the youngest toddlers? My little guy is just about a year and seems to be getting close to outgrowing his treasure basket, which has been a mainstay for months. (Can post a link if anyone wants it--basically, a large basket full of household and natural items for babies; Jack would sit and entertain himself with all the stuff for up to 20 minutes.) Now, all he wants to do is "walk"--he's almost indepedent at it, but not quite, so we've been doing a lot of cruising courses and of course a lot of hand-holding and walking round and round the house. He loves pushing his stroller (with help). Yes: we're exhausted around here!

What to do with those who've outgrown the baby activities, but aren't quite ready for the true toddler ones yet either?
Rachel

Proud mom of Joshua Alexander, born 06-09-06
Samuel James, born 05-12-08
Maggie Jean, 08-15-09

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2007, 05:15:04 am »
If your little guy is focused on walking you definitely need to get him a pull toy.  We have two little dogs on a string that sing and bark when my son pulls them.  Once he got coordinated to walk and pull he loved that. Or the other one is the push toy which he can push as he walks.  You could also tie a belt around a jumbo diaper box and have him pull around his stuffed animals.  If he's still small, he could sit in the diaper box and you could pull him around the house. I'm sure he'd love that!

With the hot days, a water table is great too as the little ones can pull themselves up and play with their little bath toys standing up.  Use some of the kitchen toys like measuring cups so he can scoop up water and pour it out.  He can also walk around the table to get other toys, etc.

Another idea is to make an obstacle course out of pillows and blankets, chairs, anything safe.  This way he is walking over bumps, through tunnels, over and around the couch etc. (more things to help with coordination).

Having a soft ball is another good idea.  If you hold his hands above his head while he walks he can run with your help and kick the ball.  Our son loved this - especially with the rubber medium size balls.

If your child loves to push the stroller- how about a toy shopping cart.  Our son loves his and he fills it with all his toy food and some recycled boxes.  He likes to fill the cart, push it around and then take everything out.  I even give him some grocery bags so he can put the groceries in the bags.  Sometimes he will give me the bags and then i pretend to pay him.

Finally, and this may be a bit ambitious, but I took the box our stroller came in and made a cardboard house for my boy.  Nothing too fancy - a door that opens and a window.  During the summer I took the box outside and I painted it.  He tried to paint too, but was still little.  Anyways, he loves the box.  It is his house and he loves going in and out and putting things in his window box.  When I give him stickers he always puts them on his house walls.  He even gets me to cut out cars from magazines and tape them on his door.  I know a lot of people might buy those houses from the stores and those are nice- but it was fun doing the whole project together and boy was he excited!

Anyways, hope you get some extra ideas for your little one.  All the best!