Author Topic: delightful habits  (Read 1486 times)

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
delightful habits
« on: August 30, 2006, 18:04:09 pm »
DS is not quite yet a toddler, but is displaying distinct toddler-ish traits... now every mouthful of finger food that he eats, or i put in, has to be swiped out with his own finger, put back on the high-chair tray, re-examined, patted, then re-eaten. I haven't yet even thought of positive correction for any of his less appealing habits, as we're still in the sleep-through-the-night-please-dear phase, and he has just started crawling, pulling up etc.

I'd surely appreciate any suggestions on how to encourage more polite eating habits. Though part of me does acknowledge this is all experimentation at this stage, and perhaps I should let him have his fun?

TIA!

Katy

Offline Lola

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
Re: delightful habits
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 18:34:27 pm »
Haha..not laughing at you...M does the same thing..she will pull food out of her mouth, look over the side of her high chair and then drop it..take the next piece and eat it..puts another piece in her mouth, takes 1/2 back out..looks at it and offers it to me...
I don't think you can change their ways at present as they are still experimenting thru touch and feel etc. She will always pick out the brighter coloured foods (ie cheese over pasta)...its interesting to watch. :) LOves to pull the food thru her four top teeth LOL
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

andibig

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 18:44:07 pm »
To be perfectly honest you can't teach them "polite eating habits " at this age ;D ;D. At his age its all a learning experience-yes even the mushing it into the hairchair and sticking it in their hair-with food. their learning about textures etc.

DD has been spoon feeding herself since 13 months and well most of it goes in her mouth ;D and around it!!!.

The important thing is not to get stressed or react angrily to it. just roll with it ;D

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 21:26:12 pm »
Look at it.  Put it in, take it out.  Maybe put it back in.  Pick up a piece to offer to mama or Scoutie cat.  Drop a piece neatly to the floor.  Take a drink, maybe drop the cup.  Repeat all of this in a random fashion.  Gotta love them!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 21:28:55 pm »
oh, i can tell i'm in for some fun, aren't i, ladies!

Offline SophieB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 09:41:47 am »
Eleanor - 13/12/04

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 10:41:46 am »
I agree with Sasha's mummy. My dd has just done a week of swishing her yoghurt around in her mouth and squeezing it out between her pursed lips - I then scoop it up and reinsert! Blech! Anyway, I just paid it no attention, figured she liked the feel of doing that and she's over it - dh tried to stop her doing it, but I discouraged him from paying it any attention, so she did it for her own fun, not to entertain us by it. I didn't stop feeding it to her, coz I figured she actually wanted to eat it - whereas dh put an adult interpretation of "she doesn't like it" into the action.

Offline MrsKirky

• Showing Appreciation 27
  • Aidan dressed as a Sheriff for Halloween
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 20:47:27 pm »
DS is still doing some of this at almost 19 months.  If he really likes the food, ti doesn't come back out, so that's progress I guess.  I sometimes wonder if he even chews some of the food he swallows - lol!  We are working on getting him to consistently use utensils now!  He just stabs and stabs at the plate - I think he likes the noise better than the eating. ::)
(Krista) Aidan-2/9/2005. Touchy.Gravida 5 Para 1 and proud of the LO for hanging on tight!

andibig

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 21:05:50 pm »
LOL
think DD practising to be in a rock band with her spoon ::) ;D