Author Topic: what veggies go with yogurt?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline HJL

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
what veggies go with yogurt?
« on: August 31, 2006, 00:51:10 am »
Hi everyone

My twin girls are almost 10 months old. They LOVE yogurt and they have it most days for lunch (full fat kind). Right now i am giving them their yogurt combined with fruit (for finger food)...avagodo, apples, pears, grapes, etc). Just wondering what kind of veggies will go well with yogurt (i personally don;'t like yogurt and it seems odd to serve veggies with it, but i want to make sure they get a well rounded variety of veggies with the fruit.). Also would you suggest giving the veggies as finger food or pureeing it and mixing it directly in with the yogurt.

thanks!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: what veggies go with yogurt?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 01:01:12 am »
I've done carrots and squash with yogurt with rousing success; they're on the sweet side and go well with either a bit of cinnamon or maybe some cumin. I've also done broccoli and spinach in yogurt, although with Josie they went better with cottage cheese.

You could also puree some cucumber and make cucumber yogurt sauce, like the stuff that goes on gyros. Especially yummy in hot weather! :)

I've also mixed yogurt and guacamole together, and that has the added benefit of staying on a spoon pretty well when Natalie wants to try feeding herself (or she wants to try decorating the kitchen with her food LOL).

Yogurt can also be used as a dip for fruits or veggies. You can mix it with anything you'd put in a dip, like seasonings for Ranch dressing. You  might find you like yogurt if you'd flavor it differently. Lots of cultures use it in ways other than sweetened and/or with fruit! Oh, and it makes a good marinade for meat, helps to tenderize it. :)

One of our favorites here, although it's not an actual food in the same sense, is to mix Nordic Naturals fish oil - orange flavor is yummiest, although their peach is nice too - into yogurt and sweeten slightly with a couple drops of stevia (natural sweetener, ZERO glycemic index :) - available at Whole Foods in liquid or powder and Trader Joe's in powder; we prefer liquid here). Add a bit of vanilla and you have a tasty treat for dessert, breakfast, or snack - tastes kind of like orange creamsicle! :)

Offline vadensmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
  • Sweet girl!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 21:02:14 pm »
I know this is an old post, but dd seems to enjoy yogurt with zucchini.  We also mix bananas with zucchini and that's a big hit too.

Offline Benz

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:47:27 am »
Whatever veg tickles your fancy...try pureeing some sweet corn with apple and sweet potato/ pumpkin, then add some yoghurt.  It works wonders.