Author Topic: Spoiled from physical contact at night?????  (Read 1040 times)

Offline wiggleworm

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Our spirited Wiggleworm!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spoiled from physical contact at night?????
« on: August 31, 2006, 03:39:10 am »

Our 8 1/2 month baby is absolutely spoiled at night. I have been going by the baby whisperer book from the beginning and she slept through the night from 2-4 months and then at month 5 she stopped and has never went back, this also occurred when we broke swaddle. Everything is messed up. She used to take 2 hour naps now it is down to 30 min. maps 3 times a day. We have tried wake to sleep, and pick up put down and it does not work.  My husband and I have no social life, we are consumed by her daily, because we are mentally and physically exhausted!!!!
Baby detailed
7:00am - wake, bottle 7-8 ounces
8:00am - breakfast stage 2 baby fruit and oatmeal
9:00-9:45am - sleep
11:00am bottle 7-8 ounces
12:00pm lunch stage 2 veggie
1:00-1:45pm sleep
3:00 bottle 7-8 ounces
5:00 - 5:45pm catnap
6:00pm dinner, bath, and bottle
7:30 sleep

We have a very established nighttime routine, we have figured she is now spoiled and we need advice on how to fix our accidental parenting? We have starting rocking her when we broke the swaddle which was a mistake? The two months that she did sleep through the night she would go to sleep on her own, now it is impossible????
We need any help we have almost given up to co-sleeping, please help!!!!!

Offline wiggleworm

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Spoiled from physical contact at night?????
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 03:53:54 am »
I forgot to put that the only way to get her to sleep is by rocking her and she wakes once a hour in the night and expects us to rock her back to sleep??? Tonight my husband and I decided to let her cry it out and she cried so hard and long that she almost choked on her saliva and she knew when we came in the room because she would stop crying instantly????

Offline Jenn©

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 10:10:34 am »
Oh hun!!  Please don't let her CIO again!!!  It's just not worth the heartache for any of you.  We will figure something else out.  No ideas at the moment, but it's also the middle of the night here.  (Insomnia)  Big squishy hugs to you!!!!!!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline wiggleworm

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 12:14:23 pm »
Yes, we are still rocking, its the only way to get her to sleep, at one time I could just lay her to sleep but then we broke the swaddle, she wouldn't then after. I do think she is a spirited baby? She has been waking up every hour during the night. Can you explain to me what pick/put down is. I know what it is I just don't know if we are doing it right??? Last night my husband tried it and he said as soon as he would pick her up she would stop crying but as soon as he bent over to lay her back down she would Begin to cry???
Do you reccommend wake to sleep during her day naps?? If so how should I do it and how long after she goes to sleep?
You have been so helpful thankyou! I understand everything you reccommended.

I will start todaywith some change, first doing away with the rocking, and putting down for first nap at 9:30

Offline litomi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 12:42:29 pm »
(((HUGS)))
I don't know whether this might be the case.... can it be possible that your LO is allergic to some food? Some allergies can be so mild, just causing some discomfort. No rashes or symptoms, just making young children irriatble and overactive. They don't know how to express their discomfort and don't know the way to soothe themselves.
My friend took her LO and found out he is allergic to wheat and all sort of different food when he's 11 mo. Once they know what food to avoid, he is much easier to handle.

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 03:34:05 am »
{{HUG}} first off take a deep breath. Your DD is not spoiled. Babies are never spoiled. She is also not trying to manipulate you or anything. She is overtired and just as confused and lost as you. We'll see what we can do to help you both find your way. First step is to end the overtiredness.

I think your routine is pretty good, but I also think its time to drop the final catnap. Try 2 naps of 1.5 hours and move dinner to 5:30 and bedtime to 7pm.

PU/PD is a method to settle your LO by picking them up and comforting them, then laying them back down. As soon as they cry pick them back up and repeat. Repeat as long as it takes. It can take a while sometimes. Up to a hundred PU/PD's or more, but it does get easier. It takes time and consistency.

Please don't leave your LO to CIO it will only make things worse in the long run. Check out our FAQS bored for PU/PD and you can find some wonderful helpfull advice there.

Kimberly