Author Topic: night waking  (Read 912 times)

Offline Maxi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 31, 2006, 09:46:27 am »
Last night was the second night of teaching my 10 month old son to fall a sleep alone.

He went straight off to sleep,which was great, but woke again about 4 hours later and cried and did'nt get back to sleep over an hour and a half later!

Do I keep going in and giving some gently words and leaving longer and longer between periods of visits?

Also over time will this waking stop?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: night waking
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 23:58:00 pm »
Yes, over time it will stop, but you must put in the work first.  ;)  You can try PU/PD or WI/WO.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 00:17:50 am »
At 10 months if you are leaving him  in his room alone for periods then you are doing Controlled crying & while it may fix the problem short term, it won't actually always work & will probably cause other issues as he is at the age where he needs to know you are there... the fact he fell asleep after 1 hour & half, was probably due to exhaustion & despondency rather than actually having learnt to resettle himself.
If you stick with Pu/Pd (better at 10mo with Separation anxiety issues than Wi/wo) & be there for the hour or more (very normal) the time it takes for him to fall asleep comforting him all the time, you will see imporvement, but it may take 3 days or even a week, he has to learn a new skill & even as adults it is so much better to have someone caring beside you as you learn a skill than be left to figure it out yourself.
Hang in there it does get better, but takes lots of time & dedication... the thing that always helped me when coping with a sleep issue (repeats seem to happen with teething/developmental steps/illness here) was to say to myself. This will take 3 hours & I'm here for the long haul... never did & never has, but thinking it will take 10mins & then takes 2 hours set myself up for getting angry & frustrated
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 03:06:48 am »
When your LO cries go to him right away. DOn't leave him, he still needs to know you will come when he needs you. Try waiting if he's fussing, or if its a mantra cry, but otherwise go to him. I know its a lot of work, but it may be time to start WI/WO, ask at the PU/PD boreds and check the faqs boreds there. If you start CC or CIO you will only end up with worse problems then you have currently.
Kimberly