Author Topic: please help, don't know why he's waking  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Brandonsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • The owl says "whooo whooo".
« on: August 31, 2006, 17:42:54 pm »
Hi all,
My LO is 8 months old and has been sleeping through the night without any problems until he got to be about 6 months old. At first he would wake maybe 1-2 times a week at night. We'd go in and give him a burp and put him back down and he would sleep. Then the teeth started to come in and it just seems that he's gotten a lot more "gassy". For the past two weeks he'll wake every night around 11pm, my DH goes in and burps him and he falls back asleep. One night it was really bad. He let out a piercing SCREAM. We of course jumped up, hearts racing, I picked him up and patted his back. He let out a huge burp and spit up quite a bit (wet burp) I assumed some of the crying was because it burned (he ate 2 hours before this episode) coming up. Anyway, that hasn't happened again but he still will wake up, one of us goes in to burp him, then he goes back to sleep. My question is, does this happen when babies are teething? Is it common for them to become a little more gassy or have upset stomach? The only thing new going on is the teeth. His bottom 2 front teeth have come in and now the top 2 front ones are visible. I thought it was only bad for them when they break through the gum. Has this happened to anyone out there. He's also on a lacto-free formula, has been on it from about 4 weeks old.

How old is your child? 8 months
What’s his/her daily routine? 4 hour easy, starting at 7am
What’s nap routine? 1.5-2 hours at 9am and 1pm, sometimes a short nap in the evenings, but has pretty much stopped that on his own
How long are naps? see above
What's bedtime routine? Time? soft music, change diaper, jammies, bottle at 7 pm, then straight to bed
Do you bottle or breastfed?? bottle
How much? or how long? 6-7 oz., but lately only taking in about 4-5 oz., we've been giving the bottle after solid feedings since he was about 5-6 months old
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night? 1-2
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? long cry, sounds really pitiful and sad
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? crying
What have you tried to settle?? pick up and pat on the back, usually he burps and goes back to sleep, if it's really bad I might rock him for a few minutes.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? 2-2.5 hours, we play on the floor, excersauser, read books
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? 4 teeth, rolling over quite a bit, not quite crawling but scooting a lot
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) cereal and fruit in the morning and sometimes a little with lunch or dinner
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? he likes to have a blanket to snuggle on
Do they have a lovie?

I should also note that we try to burp him in the middle of a bottle feeding, and after. He will give us 2-4 good burps with some spit up. We are using a #3 nipple on Dr. Brown bottles. He can finish a bottle in 15 min. We switched to a #3 about a month ago because he was taking up to 45 min. to eat on a #2 nipple. Should we go back? I'm so confused...
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: please help, don't know why he's waking
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 22:14:12 pm »
I am no expert and i have no experience but does he have reflux?  Is he medicated?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 00:11:29 am »
I'm thinking the same thing...
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 03:08:08 am »
Ditto, I too was thinking reflux
Kimberly

Offline Brandonsmom

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 03:14:22 am »
No, he does not have reflux. But that is what I've been thinking during these last few months too. Would reflux shown symptoms when he was younger? Can it occur when the baby gets older? I'm so puzzled by it all. He is a very happy baby. In fact if he's playing and spits up it doesn't even bother him. It only really bothers him at night when he is awakened by the burps. I'm planning on calling his pediatrician anyway. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this in the mean time? The funny thing to me is he doesn't spit up a lot during or right after feedings, it seems to be bad a couple of hours later.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 04:15:54 am »
He might be getting heartburn but not reflux, if that makes sense. I think it's definitely worth speaking to his doc/ped about it. They go through an awful lot of development very quickly in the first year, so things do change. For now, I would try elevating one end o the mattress to see if a little gravity helps.
Jessica

Offline Brandonsmom

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 11:53:04 am »
Just wanted to thank you for replying and helping us with this matter. I'm gonna raise one end of the crib and see what happens. Do they ever outgrow this? Also, I wanted to ask about feedings. Do you think it would help giving him smaller, more frequent meals?

Thank you! :)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 15:40:13 pm »
They do outgrow it, but it can take a while! It's ok, just adjustment to the "norm" whatever that is anyway.  ;)

Sometimes the smaller, more frequent meals help, but sometimes not. It's worth a try, but be prepared for the possibility that it might not help.
Jessica