Author Topic: another 4 months waking a lot  (Read 1377 times)

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
another 4 months waking a lot
« on: September 01, 2006, 07:44:59 am »
ok, maybe you can help us:
we've just had third night of dd not sleeping. well, sleeping but waking every 1,5 hrs making "myyymmmmmeeeeemmmmm" kind of noises. and she wasn't really wide awake [once only, when she was sooo hungry that drained both of mommy's boobs] but it was so hard to calm her. two times paci helped, the other two I had to take her to bed and "feed" her [she wasn't really eating].
I think it may be teeth again, but I don't know if she's not hungry? she usually eats 14 oz of formula + two breast feeds per day and has been waking once, max twice at night lately. and now those sleep deprived three nights... I don't think it's growth spurt, her daytime feeds are normal.
I'm so tired and worried as I'm going back to work next Wednesday. and dh doesn't help me. he either doesn't wake up when she's moaning or says it's easier for me to get up as her crib is on my side of bed...
suggestions anyone?

How old is your child? 4 months 6 days
What’s his/her daily routine? 4 hrs EASY
What’s nap routine? goes down easily, with a paci and tetra cloth over her face
How long are naps? 45 minutes, then usually I can easily put her back to sleep for a tleast another 45 min. catnap: 30~45 min
What's bedtime routine? Time? it depends how tired she is but feed - bath - cuddle - sleep, 7~7:30 pm
Do you bottle or breastfed?? mixed feeding
How much? or how long? 7 oz a bottle/ 5~10 minutes a BF
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) sometimes one, sometimes both
How many wakes per night? a lot now
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? not very long, rarely really cries, fusses and moans
What have you tried to settle?? paci, shushing, rocking, breast...
What do you do for A time and how long is it? at least 2 hrs, play with mommy, mobile, books, bouncy chair, walk in a stroller
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? I guess teething + rolling, getting control of arms, attempts to sit up
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) no. tried but she can't eat it yet
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? paci ??? maybe

TIA
Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline NolaFae

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: another 4 months waking a lot
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 11:06:55 am »
Hi there,

This sounds about the same as our 4months and 2 weeks old daughter Nola. Last week she started waking up anywhere between 5 and 25 times a night (25 only happend once though).
I cannot give any real advice, since we are trying to figure it out too. But what I can suggest is that you swap sides in the bed with your husband. That is what we do at least... it is impossible to do this by yourself I would think.

I tend to sleep through some of Nola's moans also, but my girlfriend can poke me in my side and I will wake up for sure.

Good luck,
Nola's dad

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 11:23:20 am »
This sound you talk of, is it an actual cry? if not I think you may be going to her to early.

My recomendation would actually be to move the crib to her own room, chances are she isn't really waking and you both will get more sleep this way, also resist the temptation to bring her into your bed, this will only lead to further problems in the end. Then increase daytime feeds as much as your LO will allow, try to get her up to 20oz and 2 feeds, you may find she'll sleep better at night.

Remember though if its moaning leave her be, hard to sleep through yes, but your LO needs that chance to learn to resettle herself, only go if she is crying. Thats the main reason I said move the crib. We found when we moved DD to her own room she slept 100% better, in fact she started sleeping right through. Moving your LO probably wont make her sleep 12 hours, but it can help with you going in to soon.

As for your DH kick him in the butt. Remind him that she is his child too and you are not super women. You need the help. Make it clear to him that you need and want the help. Make sure he hears you. He needs to step up and help out.

Nola's Dad same thing. Move the crib to another room. Both LO will sleep better and so will you and your DP's.

I also suggest no monitor if your LO is in a room near by. I know if LO is on a different floor it can be harder to hear, but this is something thats up to you. We turned ours off a couple weeks after DD moved to her own room. If you can't hear the moan or the fussing then your LO doesn't need you. If she needs you believe you she'll let you know. This doesn't mean leave them to CIO, not at all, but do give them a chance to settle when they don't cry. Remember there's a difference between a fuss andmoan and a cry.
Kimberly

Offline *Mona*

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 11:47:36 am »
lol, I wish I could move her to her room... but I'm going back to work and my mom will be staying with us Mo-Fri and as we only have 3 room flat, moving dd is just impossible...
but I guess you're right, I'm going to her too soon. I'll try to hold back a bit tonight and see how it works. and kick dh in the butt if I need him to see to dd... ;D ::)
AND I think I will give her some Panadol before putting her to sleep- she may really be in pain because of teething I'm afraid.

~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 13:40:05 pm »
Sounds like a good plan :)

we used to have a very small place too so I understand. Do wait though, although its harder when she's in the room with you and your tired, I know that you can do it :)
Kimberly

Offline *Mona*

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 09:10:55 am »
hi :)

I just wanted to thank you again and "report" our night: she went down easily as always [I gave her some Panadol before], then some 1,5 hrs after I heard her making 'ey! yey!' kind of noises ::) but didn't go in and after some 5 minutes she was back sound asleep. woke up at 11 and I had to feed her as she was really crying an definitely hungry [full feed]. then... woke up at 1:30 :( and I kicked dh out of bed and he put her back down [boy, he was sooo unhappy to do that!], at 4 for another feed and finally I woke up at 6:40 because she was talking to herself really loud. but not crying. and we started our day with a BF at 7.
so still lots of wakings but it's still progress compared to previous nights. I think it's teething and not enough food during the day. but I don't know how to up her formula feeds to 20 oz? she's eating 7-11-15-6:30/7. introducing solids wouldn't really help, would it?

Nola's Dad: how's it going for you? still so many night wakings? maybe Nola is teething too?

monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs

Offline NolaFae

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 15:04:01 pm »
Glad to hear things are working out...

Last night I had to get out of bed about 12 times I think to put the paci back in... It might be teething indeed, she is salivating excessively :) (we hear that that is a sign)... We're not that big on medicine for babies... so we dont give her anything (it doesnt really seem pain). She doesnt really wake up, just starts to moan and toss and turn. And if we are not fast enough to put her paci back in... she will start to cry eventually.
We have started her on an addition of Rice-formula to her feeds, and she seems to like it.

Lets hope the sleep will follow :)

Offline *Mona*

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 15:30:08 pm »
Nolas Dad,

well, I think that if Nola's eating is ok and she doesn't wake up because of hunger it may be teething or paci problem or both... I think we're experiencing both right now... (sigh) I hope it will get better soon cause I have to be awake at work next week ::) and not sleeping on my desk...

anyway, about this Rice-formula: do you add rice cereal to formula or is it a special kind of formula? I tried yesterday and today with some apples and Maja loved it. actually second time I put some apple to rice cereal and she liked it a lot too. so I was thinking about starting some solids as I can't make her drink any more formula- she just doesn't drink more than 7oz a time. and as for BF, 5 minutes is the longest...

Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs

Offline NolaFae

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 08:56:47 am »
Majas mom,

Nola is eating fine now.. when she was just born she had a lot of cramps. Nola can also not eat more then about 7oz of formula. We add the rice_formula to the 7PM and 11PM dreamfeed (2 tablespoons per 7oz formula bottle).
I have no idea what this rice_formula is called in the US/UK (we live in Amsterdam), but it is just processed rice-flakes.. there are many different brands here, but it is all the same. Kids can have it starting at 4 months old.
The last couple of nights things have been better, Nola only wakes up a couple of time... but with a lot less noise. So we are going to try to ignore her tonight and see if she fall back asleep herself (ignoring sounds a bit harsh, but just let her moan and not give her her pacifyer immediately).

We are not giving solids yet, we did give Nola some mashed banana the other day.... she didnt quite like it at first... But we are sure she will.