Author Topic: Help with 3 1/2 year old not staying in own bed all night  (Read 1992 times)

Offline QuinnEthansMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help with 3 1/2 year old not staying in own bed all night
« on: September 02, 2006, 01:47:30 am »
Hi,
We have a wonderful 3.5 year old boy who goes to bed fairly well (after several stories and telling us he loves us) but the problem is that he wakes up in the night and casually strolls into our bed (anywhere from 1100PM to 6AM).

He doesn't seem to be upset and sometimes we don't even realize he has come in.
When we try to put him back...the poopy diapers hit the fan....so to speak.
We also have a 1 year old in the next room so we end up giving in so that we don't wake him up.

Can anyone help us? His tossing and turning and large toddler feet are affecting our sleep...

We will give the sticker chart a try...but any other suggestions...

Thanks for any advice....

Michelle

Offline campelly

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Help with 3 1/2 year old not staying in own bed all night
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 02:33:12 am »
We have been going through this off and on for about a year.  We (like you) ended up with raging tantrums at 3am or so when we turned her around and took her right back to bed, and it just wasn't working.  It tends to come in spurts, seemingly when she needs a little extra reassurance and comfort.  Currently, we let her come into our bed, and one of two things happen.  1) We all fall asleep and then when I wake up after my next sleep cycle, I pick her up and put her back to bed. She doesn't wake, and usually she stays there until morning.  (We find that this method helps us all maximize our sleep, even though it's interrupted, because none of us operates nicely on low sleep).  Or 2) she is restless and doesn't go back to sleep, tosses and turns.  I take her back to her bed, whispering to her that she's having a hard time falling asleep because her bed is more comfortable for her.  I then pretty much try to fall asleep on the foot of her bed and then go back to my own bed after my sleep cycle ends (about 45 minutes it seems).  This also seems to work for her.

I had thought of putting a blowup bed next to ours, but our bedroom is small, and I wasn't too crazy about having a space in our room that she felt entitled to--I envisioned arguments at bed time about why she couldn't go to sleep in our room instead of hers...

In any sense, I tend to be able to fall asleep more easily than others it seems, so this works for us.  It is the least stressful thing to do for our family, and I figure since she's not a snuggly type of child anyway, I'll take the cuddles when I can, even at 2am and asleep.   :)  It's rough, but you'll find out what works for you.  Good luck!
Ellyn

Lilliane Joan--November 20, 2002
Adler Lane--April 29, 2006

Offline Harvey and Theos Mam

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
  • From S.Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 09:11:10 am »
rapid return and tell him that it is your bed and he has his own bed. Then if he returns do the same, but on the 3rd time he enters your room then rapid return with no response.

We started to let Harvey into our bed as it was nice to be close to him when i was pg and he started into a habit, this is what we did and it worked after a few nights. But we did do it before he even managed to get into our bed.
I know it is hard when you don't want your younger one woken, but it should only take a couple of nights and your younger one will hopefully be in a deep sleep and will not be disturbed.
Rhian

Offline QuinnEthansMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 23:02:57 pm »
Just an update for everyone. 
Quinn has been sleeping in his own bed ALL night for 2 weeks now.  The rapid return method worked for us.  He occasionally comes in around 3:30 am but when told to go back to his own bed he listens.
We've been rewarding him with a small treat from the dollar store each week he successfully sleeps in his own bed.  Thanks for your help.   :)
Michelle