Author Topic: Painful night wakings- Gas vs. Reflux vs Allergy?  (Read 935 times)

Offline clarapist

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Painful night wakings- Gas vs. Reflux vs Allergy?
« on: September 03, 2006, 13:13:35 pm »
My 9 week old has been having terrible night wakings for the last week or so. Trying to figure out if it's gas vs reflux vs an allergy

How old is your child? 9 weeks
What’s his/her daily routine? 3 hour EASY without clusterfeed. Dreamfeed 10:30-11ish Start time is 7:30 or later if he gets up later.
What’s nap routine? At sign of tired, go to the bedroom, swaddle with paci, sing the nap lullaby, and put to bed drowsy (usually falls RIGHT asleep)
How long are naps? We have been plagued by the 45 minute nap monster. Sometimes we're lucky and it's longer
What's bedtime routine? Time? Bath after last feed, sing a song, lullaby, and to bed with paci.  Usually in bed by 8:30
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Bottle
How much? or how long? Takes anywhere from 3 to 4.5oz. Probably an avg of 3.75
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night? 2 for food, but after that first feed, wakes up every hour, agitated, and seemingly in pain.
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Depends if hungry or agitated/in pain. If in pain, can be unconsolable crying.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? More like agitated, sometimes
What have you tried to settle?? Sh/Pat, holding and rocking
What do you do for A time and how long is it? Activity mat, holding,
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? No
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) NO
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?  Not yet. Maybe paci
Do they have a lovie? no

He's hardly ever fussy at other times, and pretty much never spits up. My MD suggested it could be reflux, but could it affect him only at that time of night? We tried putting him up at an angle and it's hard to tell if it helped or not.
He usually wakes up really fussy, and has some gas. 

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Painful night wakings- Gas vs. Reflux vs Allergy?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 16:58:47 pm »
I would suggest an earlier bedtime, like 7:30 rather than 8:30. I do suspect that there's some reflux going on - have you checked out the reflux board? There's some great information there that might help you decide if it's something that should be explored with the doc/ped.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o