Author Topic: Wakes up to feed and then wont goback to sleep  (Read 1179 times)

Offline neelam.mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Wakes up to feed and then wont goback to sleep
« on: September 04, 2006, 11:56:27 am »

Our daughter used to sleep 13-14 hr just few days ago and now everything is falling apart. She used to take 4 30-45mins catnaps during day and then to bed by 7:30pm till 7:30am with 1-2 feedings during night.

All of a sudden she is taking only two naps, of course her nap times have extended so each nap could be anywhere between 30mins - 1.15 hrs mins.

I have posted about her sleep problem in general sleep issues.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=71176.0

My another concern is her night waking, she will get up to feed 2ish am and then just wont goto sleep, it takes anywhere from 2-3 hours to go back to sleep. Today after going back at 4am she was up again at 6:30am wide awake playing by herself. I dont get it, few days back she slept for 13- 14 hrs and not all of sudden she is happy and playing after 8-9 hrs of sleep with only 7 hours at night  :o

I know theres a problem, but I just cannot figure out where?  ???

If it helps, we had gone to 2 days trip last weekend (aug) and there her sleep was disturbed, like she got less sleep. I try to put her to bed earlier than 8 pm but she just wont sleep. Also the doesnt cry when she gets up at night, she get up and sit, babble something, move her hands/legs, crawl etc etc.

Offline CLJK

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Wakes up to feed and then wont goback to sleep
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 16:32:28 pm »
She might be getting ready to do something developmentally, like learning to crawl.  They often get up in the middle of the night to practice their new skill and there is not much you can do about it other than wait it out a few nights. (My 3 yo did this when he was learning to pull himself up.)

My LO is 7 mos. old and still taking one night feed.  I never talk to or entertain him when I go in, lights are off, and as soon as he is finished (or, rather, when I stop him from nursing so he won't fall asleep while nursing), I put him in the crib, and leave the room.  Even if he is fairly awake he will put himself back to sleep in less than 5 minutes.  Sometimes he plays with his little aquarium for a few minutes.  Do you stay up with her when she is awake or do you let her play on her own?  I would say if she is quietly playing then just turn down the baby monitor and let her do it on her own.  One of the best things I ever did was to turn the monitor all the way down (it has lights that I can see if he makes a noise, plus I can hear him with the doors open) so I don't hear every single sound he makes.  I think when I heard all the sounds I would jump up to "rescue him" when he really didn't need it + I was not getting any sleep with all of the little baby noises going on in there!

Have you tried wake to sleep?  My son was waking at 2:45 for about a week, I did W2S 3 nights in a row and that pushed it to 3:15.  Now he has been waking at 3:45 for the past few nights to eat, so at least it's going in the right direction!  Maybe if you do a W2S before her usual waking then you can re-start her clock and that might kick the middle of the night play time as well.

Good luck!

Offline neelam.mom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 13:45:13 pm »

Probably your are right about 'developmentally'! But I thought she was done for time being  ::) in past 15 days or so she mastered sitting, learned to sit from sleeping position, learned to crawl, and learned to stand up pulling furnitures!  :o  :o . What else does she have in her mind ???  ???  ???

We also have no talking, no lights on during nights if she gets up for feeding. But I do stay up with her till she falls a sleep, I thought she doesnt know how to goto sleep position after sitting up. But it turns out she does, I noticed last night. I did leave her alone after that and it took 1/2 hr for her to goto sleep again.

I should probably not goto rescue her on her fake cry, sometimes I feel as if she is just experimenting with her voice/throat  giving out different/weird sounds of cry >:(  Also she wakes up at random times at night.

At least last night it was just 3 times that she got up, lest see how it goes. And she is back on her naps so thats a good news.

Offline CLJK

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 21:55:09 pm »
See if you can let her go about 5 minutes.  My son in the past 3 weeks or so has gotten really good at going back to sleep on his own.  I think we had to see if he could do it (and so did he!).  Now he only wakes up once to eat, and last night that wasn't until about 4:45.  So many things change after 6 months and they are often more successful at falling asleep/staying asleep after that age.  I also would not stay in the room unless you want to make that the new habit you need to break!!

Offline neelam.mom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 15:53:45 pm »

It turns out that she was/is going through some sleep pattern changes. Now she only takes 4 naps (before it was 4-5 naps) with more awake times and she also stopped waking up at night to play but just to eat.  :) 

Thank you  CLJK for support.

Offline CLJK

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 17:44:52 pm »
Glad you got over the bumps!  One thing I learned from my 3 YO is that as long as you have the fundamentals down (fall asleep on their own, etc.), then you can weather the stormy times (there will be plenty more).  Just keep consistent and stay the course and it will all work out.  My 3 YO is very well-adjusted when it comes to sleep and it has never been an issue (except that he is starting to drop his naps, but that is really my issue!).