Author Topic: HELP!!! MY 5 MONTH OLD IS ON MY LAST NERVE!!!!!  (Read 2749 times)

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
HELP!!! MY 5 MONTH OLD IS ON MY LAST NERVE!!!!!
« on: September 07, 2006, 13:25:36 pm »
HELP!!!!!  My 5 month old dd is driving me crazy and I am really on my last nerve. :o :o 

For almost the last 2 months Abby has been rolling over and waking herself up at night.  The first time that she wakes is usually around 1am and I feed her about 6oz. and she drinks every last ounce.  Then she usually starts waking around 5:30am (this is a good night).  I usually go in when I hear her and roll her back onto her stomach, then she rolls to her side and sometimes she will suck her thumb and go back to sleep.  But lately as soon as I roll her on her stomach she rolls right back to her back and begins to fuss and then if let go will cry on and off.  If I pick her up she stops crying right away b/c she thinks I am taking her down stairs and as soon as she realizes we aren't leaving her room she starts to cry and the screams.  It is hard to get her to calm down and I usually just lay her back down b/c she seems more mad when she is picked up.  Sometimes if I can get her to suck her thumb she will calm down.

I used to be able to just go in roll her over and she would go right back to sleep but now she seems to get more mad.  This morning it took her from 5:30-6:00am to get back to sleep.  She would not stay of her stomach and Pu/PD just made her more mad so I just let her CIO and she fell asleep but fussed at 6:18 and 6:30am and then I woke her up at 7am.  I just don't know what to do with her.  ??? ???   She does the same thing during nap time after about an hour or so of sleep.  Sometimes I can get back to sleep, sometimes not.  It is worse at night b/c I am so tired and at my wits end.  :o 

Most people say she will grow out of it but this has been going on for about 2 months now, how long will it take?

Do I just ignore her when she wakes?  I don't know if she gets more mad b/c when I pick her up and don't feed her that really tickes her off!!! 
She has reflux and is on Prevacid.  I don't know if this is bothering her and  then she squirms and inadvertently rolls over and wakes up,  but she doesn't wake up screaming like she is in pain.  She has been on Neocate for about a week now but it doesn't seem to have gotten worse since then.  PLEASE HELP!!!!  HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS????

How old is your child? 5 months in 3 days

What’s his/her daily routine? 4hr EASY up at 7am takes meds, eats at 7:30, 11:30, 3:30, 7:30

What’s nap routine? I take her into her room, cover her with her blanket, she grabs the blanket and holds it in her hand while she sucks her thumb, we rock in her glider for a few minutes then I lay her in her bed.  She usually has her eyes closed when I lay her down but isn't fully asleep.  

How long are naps? 3 naps, sleeps b/w 1.5-2hrs per nap and 45.-1hr cat nap around 4:30-5pm.  I usually have to go in and roll her back over at her afternoon nap and sometimes morning to get her to sleep at least 1.5hrs. 

What's bedtime routine? Time?  Wakes from her nap b/w 5:30-6pm then plays, takes bath, takes meds. at 7pm and then bottle at 7:30 then bed

Do you bottle or breastfed?? bottle

How much? or how long?  usually b/w 6-7.5 oz. per bottle

If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)  n/a

How many wakes per night? on a good night 2 times, on a bad night 4-6times

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?  The first time she wakes I feed her about 6oz.  If she wakes after this she usually starts fussing and start to cry on and off.  I probably go in too soon....but it used to be easier to just roll her over and then she would go back to sleep but now it is getting harder b/c she is getting mad when I do this.

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?  Usually fussing or crying on and off, but no hysterical.

What have you tried to settle??  Roll her over, if she starts crying then I pick her up and try Pu/PD but this usually makes her more mad.  Like I explained above.

What do you do for A time and how long is it?  She loves her down way Jumper, exersaucer, playmat

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?  No, none that I know of.

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)  she has eaten oatmeal but stopped once we intro. the Neocate which she has been on about 1 week

Do they have a prop? If so what is it? No, but maybe me when I roll her over??

Do they have a lovie?  She holds her blanket when she sucks her thumb. 

IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE PLEASE HELP!!!  I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO OTHER THEN LETTING HER CIO!!!!  THANKS :)
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline Grace's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
Re: HELP!!! MY 5 MONTH OLD IS ON MY LAST NERVE!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 18:33:27 pm »
I was just about to post about my 5 month dd waking at night and saw your message.  My dd is also a reflux baby and is on prevacid and has been waking at 5am playing/fussing/crying etc. for awhile now and it is driving me mad.  I do notice that when I go in her room it makes her madder and that is when she starts to really cry.  I don't really have any advice, but thought I would let you know you are not alone. 

On a different note, you should come and join us at the March/April 2006 thread (birth club under E.A.S.Y).  A lot of us are going through similar things at the moment and it's a great support group.

Melissa
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline lochiesmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 05:59:17 am »
Hi there, sorry no advice to offer just hugs and empathy as I could have written your post about my son, I too am going nuts but have almost become resigned to the fact that this is just developmental and someday, it WILL stop

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 10:59:08 am »
Update.....Last night I elevated her mattress and gave her some Tylenol before bed.  She cried out just about an hour after going to bed.  I went in, picked her up and she still had her eyes closed.  She calmed down and I laid her back down.  She then slept till 3:45am :)  I couldn't believe.  When I went in she had slid down to the bottom of her crib, I picked her up and changed her.  She didn't even cry.  Usually she is screaming while I change her.  She was quite happy.  I fed her put her back in bed, no crying even when I burped her.  I think someone switched my baby!!! ;D  I haven't heard a peep out of her.  It is now close to 7am here and I have to go wake her.  What a good night we had!!!  I don't know is the elevated mattress or Tylenol helped, but I am following the same routine tonight.  Hope that everyone else finds something that helps.  Sleepless nights suck. ::)
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline Grace's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 11:51:27 am »
That is sooo good to hear. Congrats. 

funny about the elevated matress....we just took our out thinking that Grace wouldn't slide all over the place and she still does  ;D

-Mel
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/