Author Topic: 4 mo NW screaming and can't settle except with feeds-HELP!  (Read 822 times)

Offline miasmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
4 mo NW screaming and can't settle except with feeds-HELP!
« on: September 08, 2006, 01:10:17 am »
Hi,

My dd #2 is 4mo and used to wake at 10 and 2pm for a feed and then go straight back to sleep.  Now she is waking at 9.30pm and screaming until I finally give in and feed her at 10-10.30pm and then is awake from 1am until again I feed her at 2-2.30am.  She is unsettled but I can pat/shh her back between 3-6am when she finally wakes up.

She wakes up crying and it escalates from there and is so angry and frustrated.  On Monday this week I decided to wean her from the dummy which had become a major prop (waking every 30 minutes for it to be put back in). She has done quite well and is sucking her fist now.  Her day sleeps are fine and she can self-soothe ok.  It just seems she gets confused at night.  I still swaddle her leaving one arm out to suck and she lies on her side with that arm underneath her.

How old is your child?   4mo

What’s his/her daily routine?
6am wake bottle 225ml
7am S
9am A
10am E 225ml
10.30am S
1pm A
2pm E 225ml
2.30pm S
4.30pm A
5.30pm Bath, Bottle 200ml, Bed (asleep when finished bottle)
10.00-10.30pm bottle 120ml
2.00am bottle 120ml

What’s nap routine?   Goes down easily.  Hold and pat bottom until calm and has hand in mouth.  Usually 2-3 minutes.  Put her down awake.  She puts herself to sleep.  Sometimes I need to pat for a few minutes.
How long are naps? 1.5-2.5hrs
What's bedtime routine? bath, massage and bottle into bed Time?  5.30-6pm
Do you bottle or breastfed??  Bottle
How much? daytime 225ml nighttime she falls asleep so only takes 120-150ml or how long?
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night? 2 but long screaming up times
What’s your LO like when waking at night? wakes crying and then starts screaming and is angry and squirms and pushes me away/fights with me.  How long is he/she up?  1.5-2 hours constantly screaming, would be up longer but I give in and feed her to put her back to sleep and calm her
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? crying Or is it a mantra cry?
What have you tried to settle?? pat/shh used to work and now doesn't at night so started pu/pd.  she doesn't stop screaming even when I hold her
What do you do for A time and how long is it?rocker, activity gym, mummy 1.5hours
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? drooling alot but I don't think teeting (can't feel anything)
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)  No
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? Not any more, still swaddled but struggles with it constantly, I tried to get rid of it but her arms still disturb her settling and sleep.
Do they have a lovie? No-should I at this age?

I started pu/pd last night and it seemed to get her even angrier and she screamed louder and longer.  She screams whether I hold her or put her down and pat her.  Is all this due to the dummy now gone.  Will it get better when she becomes better at finding and sucking her hands?  Should I be feeding her or not?  I cannot get anymore food into her during the day or at night.  I tried tanking up but she refused extra food and it is a struggle to get her to take the 225ml during the day (she is very distracted so I feed her in her room in the dark).  I have just increased her from a 175ml to 225ml.   I have a 2yr dd and so I can't stay up to do a dream feed at 10-11pm beacuse I am exhausted from the day.  I used to feed her at 9.30pm when I was going to bed but she never took much 100-120ml and then woke 4 hours later anyway.  Could this be the 4 month growth spurt?

Please, please any help and I would be so grateful.  She used to be such a great sleeper and of course now she is not sleeping at night her day sleeps are great because she is so tired.  I would prefer it the other way around.  Sorry for all the information and how long it is.

Thanks,
Bye for now, Amanda
Mum to Mia Lauren - 29 May 2004
Textbook/touchy baby
Amy Rose - 08 May 2006 - Angel Baby

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 4 mo NW screaming and can't settle except with feeds-HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 03:08:11 am »
It may be a growth spurt, but also if you feed her anyway, why hold out with her screaming, you may find she gives up the later feed if she doesn't have to cry so much & get more thirsty.

Another thing is as she appears to fall asleep on the bedtime bottle & her day bottles are before a nap, I'd be guessing she also has a sleep association there with needing to suck to go to sleep... I'd strongly suggest tweeking your routine so she can have her feed at the start of A time, as for a 4mo she seems to be taking A LOT of milk anyway, so I think it is probably more an association than a hunger issue.

Looking at your routine, I'd be inclined to offer a small roll over at 6am & then when she wakes from the all the naps offer a full bottle  & then a small top after the bath but making sure she is awake when you settle her for bed.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05