Author Topic: Bottle dependency! (2yrs 6mths)  (Read 1141 times)

Offline DFreeman

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: September 08, 2006, 07:58:45 am »
Hi everyone,

I need some help in 'weaning' my 2.5 year old away from his bottle at bedtime.  He very much uses his bottle for comfort and when he goes to bed each night, he won't go to sleep without holding his bottle and if he ever wakes up during the night he won't re-settle unless he's got a bottle to hold on to.  We've successfully toilet-trained him over the last few weeks, so now I'd like to move on to getting rid of nappies overnight, but I realise I can't do that if he's taking milk to bed with him.  Obviously I don't want to make this traumatic and would like to make it easy as possible, so if anyone's got any tips on how to get the bottle out of his hands, I'd very much appreciate your advice.

Many thanks,
Donna.

andibig

Re: Bottle dependency! (2yrs 6mths)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 22:41:48 pm »
I don't know if this would help-but in Tracy book she said to make the btl less appealing you start making the hole at the top bigger. i think it was cut a cross in the bottle and then gradually cut a corner out until its just a large hole in the top.
i'm sure one of the mods can explain it better than me

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 17:22:20 pm »
Is he only drinking the bottle at night? It is important that you don't start introducing undies at night until you get rid of the bottle, so he won't associate the potty training with something negative (the loss of his bottle). I think it'll be diapers for him at night for a month or so, till he learns to self soothe without the bottle and won't make any associations with the potty training and hence, have a regression on that.

Having said that, you can try giving him half of the bottle before his bedtime routine (bath, etc) and save half of it to get him down. During wakings at night, make sure he has a sippy cup of plain water (not juice or milk, just water) on hand in case he wakes thirsty at night. If he wakes at night crying out for you, go to him, reassure briefly say night night and walk out (so, I'm advicing you to use the wi/wo method, described thoroughly in the Child board of FAQ's, under a thread called Teaching Independent Sleep). He'll cry for you but you have to teach him another way to find comfort when he wakes at night other than the bottle. Try to find a lovey or stuffed animal he likes and show him how to snuggle up with it if he wakes at night (something like Teddy will take care of you...). Wi/wo as much as needed till he stops crying out. He might be awake still but if he's not distressed it means he'll soothe back to sleep byhimself.  Once you've managed to teach him how to soothe back to sleep without needing a bottle, taking his last bottle at night willb e much easier. As the week goes by, offer the bottle BEFORE the winddown 50/50, then 60/40, till eventually tehre's only half an oz left of it for going down and then nothing. This has to be a gradual process so he won't put up a fight and it'll be easier for you. During daytime explain him what a big boy he's now, he's not wearing diapers but you still love him and he will always be your baby. Offer him a small reward that only "big boys" get to enjoy, like going to an amusement park or a "grown up" toy. This should encourage him to forget about babyish items and will help you through the progress.

Let me know what do you think of this and if i made some sense (i'm still getting used to the new format so i feel kind of dizzy while posting LOL). Keep us posted to help you through this!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline DFreeman

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 11:30:43 am »
Thanks for your responses ladies.  I'm following Florencia's advice and last night he actually finished his bottle during story time and then went to sleep without a bottle - how good is that!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for continued success, but just wanted to say 'thankyou very much'.
Donna.

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 16:34:30 pm »
Such great news! just keep up the good job mommy!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake