Author Topic: 10-month old waking up screaming  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Anoucks Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10-month old waking up screaming
« on: September 09, 2006, 07:07:47 am »
Hi everybody,

My daughter is 10-month old, and 2-3 weeks ago she started waking up screaming in the night, whereas she used to sleep pretty much.  It went from once every 2-3 nights, to once every other night to every night, and last night she woke up 4 times between 1am and 6am... Everytime, she wakes up screaming her head out, like she is really scared or in pain, I go to her, pick her up and hold her for a couple of minutes, she calms down and I put her down in her cot, keeping my hand on her back. Sometimes she goes right back to sleep, sometimes she starts crying as soon as I remove my hand and I have to stay another 15-30 min next to her removing and putting back my hand before she goes back to sleep.

Her routine is:
7am Wake up, BF plus formula
8.30-9am Breakfast
10am Nap (for 30 min to 1 hour)
11.30-12am Lunch
2pm-3pm nap (for 45 min to 1 hour)
4pm BF plus formula
5pm Snack
6.30pm diner
7.30pm bath
8.00pm Bottle and bedtime

She is usually ok going down for naps and night, I just hold her for a couple of minutes until she rubs her eyes, then I put her down with her lovey and rub her back for a minute or two and leave the room.
I am BF and bottlefeeding because when she started waking up in the night 3 weeks ago, I had the feeling that my milk supply was seriously down and she was actually hungry, so I started giving formula at bedtime which seemed to help for a couple of nights, and then she started waking up again.
She is really close to walking (she already does it while holding onto one hand) and she has bumps where the molars should be in her mouth (we tried Tylenol, but did not seem to do anything). She has never been afraid of strangers, but she did start going to the nursery two mornings a week last week (she did great, up until the moment I came back into the room to pick her up, when she realised I had been gone and started crying...).  And I have been pretty stressed out because I might go back to work, so she might have pick up something from me...

Anyway, did anybody's LO go through this ? My gut feeling is it's a mixture of teething, separation anxietyand overtiredness (from all those wakings and short naps), but what do I do about it ? Any advice is welcome, I feel really down today, thanks God it's weekend and DH is here too !

Thanks !

Maud
mum to Anouck (23 Oct 05)
Maud

Mum to Anouck (23 October 2005)

Offline Grace's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
Re: 10-month old waking up screaming
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 14:49:11 pm »
My DD is only 5 months old, but just last night she woke at 9:30pm and 12:30am screaming at the top of her lungs.  The first time she cried for a few minutes even with us holding her. She eventually calmed down, we changed her diaper and she went to sleep after about 15 minutes of moving around in her crib.  The second time she woke screaming dh went in and gave her a paci and she went back.  I have no idea what is going on either...possibly teething, etc.  I don't really have any advice, but I am curious to see what others have to say about it because it makes me so very sad. 

Thanks.
Melissa
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 10-month old waking up screaming
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 18:03:34 pm »
My DS used to do the same thing. I always felt that he was having a bad dream or a night terror. No fun for anyone, but he was fine once I would hold him and reassure him.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o