Author Topic: 4 month Old Wakes Often During The Night... Help.  (Read 1493 times)

Offline MomofRocco

• Just can't get enough!!!
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Gorgeous!
4 month Old Wakes Often During The Night... Help.
« on: September 09, 2006, 16:37:58 pm »
Help... I have a 3.5 month old son who is only sleeping 1.5-2 hour stretches at night.  He suffers from reflux, but I don't believe this is a reflux issue.  He is very gassy, and lately seems so uncomfortable when he wakes.  But the problem that I have noticed, is that he is waking around the same time everynight.  For example, the past 3 nights, probably longer, but I have just started to make notes... he has woke between 930-1000, then again around 12-1, and again between 230-3, and again around 5.  During those wakenings, he wants to eat every 3 hours.  Is this from AP?  How do I get him to not wake so often?  Please help.

How old is your child?  14 weeks
What’s his/her daily routine?  Somewhat of 3 hour EASY
What’s nap routine? Awake between 6-7, Naps 45 minutes around 8-830, needs help goingback to sleep, usually total nap time around 1-1.5 hrs.  We try to get him 3 of those a day, and a catnap.  Unless his naps were too short, then we skip the catnap and put him to bed by 630-7.
How long are naps? Never more than 45 minutes at a time.
What's bedtime routine? Time?  Bedtime routine, quite A time, bottle, bath, swaddle, bed
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Bottle
How much? or how long? Until yesterday, he was drinking 3-4.5 oz usually at 7-10-1-4, bedtime bottle.  Yesterday, i chaned nipple size, and he drank 7 oz at one feeding.  But, i think that's too much too fast???
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night? Usually 4.
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Fussy, draws legs up, gassy, usually awake until we pick him up, then goes back to sleep, but passes gas and squirms (eyes are usually closed).  Takes anywhere from 10-40 minutes to actually get him back asleep IN HIS CRIB. 
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Sometimes both, but with his reflux, I don't like to let him cry TOOO long, as it agravates the reflux.  But I don't go to him right away either.  He is a Touchy/Spirited baby, so he won't settle, his cries only escalate to the red in the face without sound cry.
What have you tried to settle?? Usually pat/ssh, but have resorted to rocking a few times.  Sometimes gripe water. Sometimes a paci.
What do you do for A time and how long is it?  Tummy time, holding, swing, rattles, looking at pictures/books, lots of talking
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?  May be teething, not sure... really started sucking on his hands lately.  Finding out they are there makes him resist swaddling much more.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) Yes, rice cereal, per pedi... because of reflux... Usually 1-1/2 Tlbs 1-2 times per day.
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?  Maybe paci, but I don't think so.  If anything, it is being rocked.
Do they have a lovie? He's swaddled, but when he's not swaddles he loves to hold onto a little blanket.

SO, my main question is, is he waking habitually?  If so, what should I do.  He really seems as if he wants to sleep...  it's not like he even barely opens his eyes.  Please help.

Thankfully, Brenda
Brenda
Rocco's Mama

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 4 month Old Wakes Often During The Night... Help.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 17:38:42 pm »
Hi Brenda,

You'll notice that I split your post off the thread that you originally posted on, just to make sure that you get as many people to see it as possible.  ;) 

I think you have a number of things going on - but firstly it's very normal to still have wakings at 3.5 months. I think that you should be able to get them down from what you're currently dealing with though. Being that I have one with reflux as well, I can tell you that the reflux does have something to do with the wakings. Reflux can be causing the gas - but so could the cereal. We also did cereal at a very early age, about 3.5mo I think, but we did a little in the bottle rather than separately. But anyway the cereal can cause major gas and stomach pains on such an immature system. If you can, I would do the cereal in the morning and then afternoon so that he can get it out of his system before night sleep time.

He will still need at least one night feed as well, but he is probably wanting to eat every 3 hours to soothe the reflux pain. Does he sleep elevated? That made an enourmous difference for my DS and sleep.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline MomofRocco

• Just can't get enough!!!
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Gorgeous!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 18:04:06 pm »
Thank you... I am doing the cereal after his morning nap, and we only recently started that.  His gas was bad before then.  Also, he does sleep on a wedge, but slides off of it rather quickly.  Not sure how to prevent that.  So, what can I do to eleiminate the wakings, and why are they at the same time? 
Brenda
Rocco's Mama

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 18:10:37 pm »
Rather than the wedge, you could try raising one end of the mattress. Depending on what kind of crib it is, you could just put one end higher than the others (if it's the bracket kind) or you could prop one end up with a phone book or something like that.

I would try an anti-gas thing in the evening. Since you mention gripe water I assume you're in Canada? I always had great success with little tummies gas relief drops, but they must be given BEFORE the bottle.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o