Author Topic: Won't stay asleep at night  (Read 981 times)

Offline ru06930

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 10, 2006, 00:27:49 am »
My 7 month old daughter won't stay asleep at night.  For the last 2 months (or longer, I can't remember when it started) she wakes up after about 40 minutes crying and won't settle to sleep again.  Either my husband or I will go in and, until a week ago she would fall asleep again in 5-10 minutes, then 40 minutes later we would repeat this pattern until 11 or 12, then she would be out until 6:30 or 7 in the morning.  This last week she won't settle after the 10 minutes and it is taking upwards of 2 hours to get her back to sleep.  And she has added in a 4am waking that can be 20 minutes, or 2 hours.  Her naps in the day are normally an hour and a half.

We have had the same bedtime routine since she was 6 weeks old - Supper, playing on a blanket on the floor, bath, massage, and breastfeed to sleep (I know, I shouldn't be doing it, but it was working to have her sleep 10 hours + from 6 weeks on).  When she wakes I don't feed her again, just shush and pat.  Bedtime is usually around 7pm and she falls asleep very quickly.

6 weeks ago she got her first tooth.  This is the only one so far.

Any suggestions?  The cry isn't a mantra cry, it is a come help me cry.

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Won't stay asleep at night
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 04:28:28 am »
My first thought is that she has gotten used to going to sleep while feeding and doesn't know how to settle on her own and if going to sleep because she is to tired to stay awake. It may be time to stop. Everyday try to get her into bed a little more awake untill she is going in awake and getting herself off to sleep. Keep A time before bed low key and keep with the routine and keep a consistent bedtime.

When she wakes do PU/PD or pat/shh to settle her, be consistent and it will work.
Kimberly