Author Topic: Picky eater  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 10, 2006, 18:56:51 pm »
My almost 15 month old lo is soooooo picky.

He will only eat eggo multigrain waffles for breakfast or dry Nutrios with apple pieces and yoghurt.
Lunch maybe 1/2 grilled cheese and scrambled egg with more apple pieces.
Snacks goldfish crackers and rice cakes/mum mums.
Supper usually I feed him and this is his best meal--chicken or beef with pasta and veggies plus applesauce.

He takes two bottles am and pm and sippy milk with lunch.

I have tried and tried and tried and reoffered--he hates any new textures.  I have tried hiding things in bread but he just spits it out.  I have tried freeze dried fruit/veggies and spits it out.  What happens when he starts to refuse his favourites?? Please help!!

I really wish life was simpler with kids sometimes  ::)

Also, when do you start letting them self feed.  He is slowly starting to show interest in the spoon at supper and with yoghourt but will only self feed for about 3 spoons and then throws it on the floor--any suggestions here please??

Thanks

S

Offline suca

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • ~Suz~
Re: Picky eater
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 07:50:47 am »
Do you sit down and eat with him?, I find that when I sit with Caleb to eat he is interested in what I am eating and will want to try new things so much so his favourite food now is broccoli

I tried to encourage self feeding from about 11 months on..he made (and still makes) such a mess, but thing is not to get stressed about it (i know its hard), they play to your reactions.

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 16:10:53 pm »
he self feeds everything and I have tried sitting with him to eat but still no interest in what i am eating either.
i don't know what else to try?

sabine

Offline suca

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • ~Suz~
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 17:12:53 pm »
what about a reward type thing..if he eats X he gets something else (does he have a favourite food????)

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 16:05:29 pm »
tried that...then he will only hold out for the reward....loves mum mum and arrowroots.

sabine

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 04:15:41 am »
Hi there! I feel your pain as my bub is not only a picky eater but as very small eater as well. i dont know if this help but.... Gage always wanted what I was eating so I would eat some of his food (or pretend if it was not appealing to me) and then he would be more likely to eat it.... go figure  ::). Also, I would clap and say yeah when he ate something (I know BW is against this but I was desparate). Anyway, I learned that no matter how I try Gage is in control over what he eats and no matter how hard I try if he doesnt want it he will not eat it. Thinking this helps ease my anxiety and on most days curbs the tears (mine). I also think if Gage isnt waking in the middle of the night thhen he is getting enough to eat. Hang in there, when he is a teenager he will eat you out of house and home :)

Ps. My friend just told me about some "baby ensure" drinks for noneaters. These drinks are supposed to be packed with tons of vitamins for those picky noneaters.

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 15:11:32 pm »
thanks gage's mom...I am hoping it is a phase he will grow out of. 
I guess I will just try and persevere.

sabine

binxyboo

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 20:05:36 pm »
It's hard, I know because my lo drives me crazy sometimes, but I have learned to relax (a bit) and realise that I am only responsible for what he is served, where and when it is served, and he is in control of how much he chooses to eat. And you are ahead of me, we don't even have eggs and sandwiches in our repetoire!