Author Topic: swaddle -reswaddle-reswaddle-reswaddle???  (Read 2202 times)

Offline dreamgirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
swaddle -reswaddle-reswaddle-reswaddle???
« on: September 11, 2006, 10:38:44 am »
we swaddle LO when he goes down for naps and for bedtime... he has been breaking out of it for a while but not too bad - i can usually reswaddle him and he will stay in it at least untilt he morning but sometimes it doesnt wake him up... last night he went down at 715 - broke out of it at 1:00 (and to eat),3:30, 4 (and to eat), 4:30, 5, 5:30 and was awake for the day at 5:45-- its now 6:36 and he is exhausted...

i really feel like he still needs to be swaddle because he startles himself so much, but now hes fussing because he wants his hands and then comes all undone...

any ideas on what to do - swaddle or stop swaddling?  ( i just bought a blanket big enough to try the aussie swaddle but we havent tried it yet-- maybe that?)

exhausted....
dreamgirl
:)

Offline estherofi20

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
Re: swaddle -reswaddle-reswaddle-reswaddle???
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 15:20:53 pm »
sorry but how old is your LO?

Offline Tumbleweed

• Rock Star
  • Showing Appreciation 33
  • One shoe off and one shoe on !
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 15:33:36 pm »
Have you tried freeing one hand  & using a lovie...we did that at 5 months and it helped alot. But then at 7 months Belle began to  come out & wake quite often. One late night when I was feeling sort of chipper, I threw the blanket on the floor, walked away &  didn't re-swaddle her and it amazed me , but she fell asleep within about 20 min or so. As soon as she was unswaddled, she began sleeping on her side & tummy....sort of like the swaddle had held her back! My assuption is that it was 2 am & she was tired enough that she didn't need the swaddle to re-settle her. After that it took about 2 weeks of adjustment (some night feeds and changes to bedtime routine), but she remains  "Swaddle free since Aug. 3" I know that another member of my BirthClub had pretty much the same experience we did, so it may not be conventional, but it worked for us. .

There is a v. supportive thread on the props board about the Swaddle...let me find it for you... http://www.index.php?topic=63984.0

Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 15:37:25 pm by bellesmum »
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline tjac

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 15:41:21 pm »
Have you tried the Miralcle blanket or the Kiddopotamus sleep wpar? They seem to keep my LO wrapped tighter and she doesn't break out of them.  We just use the Kiddapotamus as Pajamas with a diaper for nighttime since they are fleece and a bit warm. 

Offline dreamgirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 17:39:41 pm »
Hi there-- Yes we have the miracle blanket -- thats what he is escaping out of! we tried the other one but he broke out of that when he was 5 weeks old! ...sooooo the drama continues!! that link is very helpful.. i am going to reread it tonight (at work now) and show my husband as well... hopefully we can find some help in it!

we have a lovey and he does like to hold it -- he is also trying to suck his thumb although he is only getting his pointer finger but hasnt discovered its soothing yet -- so when hes crying it isn't much of any help!!

thanks ladies!
we'll keep you posted.....

dreamgirl :)

Offline rebecaq

• Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 18:43:26 pm »
My ds never took to swaddling.  We used a wedge to keep him in place until he started rolling over. Maybe your ds could also benefit from a wedge ;)

- Beca
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 01:06:18 am »
did i miss it?  how old is lo?
melissa

Offline dreamgirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 10:46:22 am »
he is 15 weeks!

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 02:30:15 am »
wow.  i'd normally suggest swaddling at almost 4 months but it seems he's a little fighter.

this may not work either but when my lo started breaking out of the miracle blanket, we'd wrap her in the miracle blanket first and then put her in a sleep sack.  now this may be hard if it's hot where you are with no A/C.  another way is to do it vice versa - sleep sack then miracle blanket.  again make sure it's cool enough so lo isn't too hot with all that material.  we had to put A/C on and ceiling fan.

Offline nursekat

• Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 02:40:00 am »
Our DD also breaks out of her miracle blanket, but we discovered it was mostly because she got her feet out and then scooched herself up so her arms were then free.  So...to counteract that, we have a folded sheet that is tucked on either side of the mattress and holds her legs somewhat snugly down.  If she's really determined, she can bust out of that too (it's not super tight or anything), but it tends to keep her happily swaddled.

I also heard the dual sleepsack and miracle blanket works, will be trying it this winter when the weather cools!  :)

Offline calebs mommy

• Showing Appreciation 24
  • My two favorite guys!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 22:06:07 pm »
My son started doing the same thing at about the same age.  So, we slowly weaned him off the swaddle.  First, we left his feet undone, then one arm, then the other arm, and then we were done.  I think if he is waking up in the night just to be reswaddled, then maybe he is ready to not be swaddled anymore.  I was nervous about not swaddling because, like yours, my son seemed to startled himself.  However, he has done great ever since.  I let him still snuggle with his blanket and he likes that.  Also, I started the weaning of the swaddle during the day at first, then when he got comfortable, I did that step at night and moved to the next step during the day.  Good luck!
Stephanie- mom to Caleb and baby boy #2 due July 4, 2008