Author Topic: Toddler wind down routines  (Read 75166 times)

Offline kazza12

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 23:46:27 pm »
Does anyone have tips and timing for wind down strategies for day time naps for a 13 month old who has started to walk (run mostly)? I think I have gotten into a trap of patting her/hold my hands on her to get her to go to sleep during the day to sped up the process. Also if she lies in her cot chatting and getting up and down for an hour should I get her up - is this type of rest considered ok? :D

Offline Monkeybelly

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Toddler wind down routines
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 14:16:47 pm »
Our routine is a bit long winded, but it's helped our spirited toddler get the hang of going off to bed (so I'm more than happy :)

5.30: Teatime
6.00: Tidy up toys (if she's been playing with her babydoll, she tucks her into her "bed...aka the beanbag...before going upstairs)
6.20: Brush Teeth, get naked, drop toys into bath with associated "splash" sound effects, and get into bath
6.40: Get dried, nappy on, jammies on, look at the baby in the mirror (Heather's reflection lol) and come downstairs
6.55: Watch "In the Night Garden" and have a drink of milk.  Watching in the night garden itself is a huge ritual - say night night to everyone as they get into bed, tell iggle piggle it's time to go to sleep and "it's ok iggle piggle, time to go" then as the music plays at the end...
7.30: Bedtime! 

We've been doing it like this for a few months now and never deviate...Heather does try to distract us from the end of the night garden with various antics (as if, if we dont see it she won't have to go to bed ;D ) ::) but we very rarely have any problems...time will tell how this fares with the big girl's bed to contend with  ;)

Offline 403girl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • "Do I have to have a nap?"
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 02:23:56 am »
This is our current routine. I am in the midst of tweaking it. We're also in the middle of 2-1 nap switch so times vary depending if he needs to go to bed earlier. Normally supper starts at 5:30 and bath starts at 6:15, Asleep by 7pm.

-Supper
 -Bath, brush teeth, put on pj's, put on sleep sack
- Read 3 or so books, nurse and sing a song, read another book, nurse, say a prayer, then sing twinkle twinkle

Kirsty - Mommy to Joel (02/25/07))

Offline tiredtwoboys

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 10:05:04 am »
Hi all
Please help - toddler is nearly three and waking in the night. He always goes to sleep really well, has no props and even has his 5 month baby brother in the room too. For about the last year he has been waking now and then in the night - he goes back to sleep when you go in and say "go back to sleep" often he says he's thirsty and so he has a beaker of water next to the bed. Recently he has started waking 4/5 times, often in a tantrum so can't get any sense, in the end he says he wants a drink but now he won't let us leave the room until he has put the beaker back down. I think we may have a major problem here, not heard of Walk in/walk out before so not sure if appropriate? Please post your thoughts. also - will have to move baby back into our room whilst we sort this problem.. nooooooo!
Thanks

Offline anniedooday

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 16:28:07 pm »
our bedtime savior is Harold and the purple crayon. And if I need to get them to brush teeth ,potty, and get changed quickly we start watching then pause to do those and then restart. The bonus is that it is about a little boy who can't fall asleep so he pretends... everything he draws come to life. So I use that to my advantage and tell my 3 yr old if she has trouble just close your eyes and pretend like Harold. It is a very low key show. And even has a little relaxing music in it too.

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 00:53:32 am »
Our wind down: (Owen, age 3.3)

*We always set the timer 5 minutes before it's time to go upstairs.  It helps him make the transition better.
*When timer goes off, it's time for "last jumps".   ;D  This means Daddy throws him up into the air 5 times.

*We go upstairs with a sippy of water and put sippy in his room.  Then it's off to the bathroom for potty time, bath (every other day)/wash up, teeth brushing.

*Back to his room where we change into jammies and sleep sack.

*Read 3 stories.  If bath night, only 3.  Non-bath nights he gets 1 extra 'short' story.

*After stories we go around the room saying 'night-night' to his favorite objects, ending with his light when we say "Night night Mr. Sun! All our days' adventures are done! We'll see you in the morning!"

*Off to the rocker for a sip of water and then rocking/cuddling while mommy sings "Hush Little Baby" and "Rockabye Baby".  After songs, one more sip of water and then we go over all the things we did that day while cuddling in the dark.  Say prayers. 

*Mommy takes Owen and puts him in his crib.  Then I open his door and turn on the night light in room across the hall (not too bright that way, but gives him some light so he's not scared).  Then mommy hugs and kisses, gets him cozy and leaves the room.

*He ALWAYS calls me back for 1 last kiss and hug.  :)  That's just part of our ritual.  It's only 1 time and I think it makes him feel like he's tricking me!  ::)

After last tricky hug and kiss I leave and that's that!
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 18:07:39 pm »
Here's ours:

*Say nite nite to whoever is downstairs (daddy, doggies, any visitors lol)

*on bath nights, undress, do the bath (vitamin in the tub-chewable=colorful drool lol)

*to nursery to dry, put on pajamas (non-bath nights she gets her "chew chew" -vitamin during this part lol)

*back to bathroom to brush teeth

*back to room for "Goodnight Moon" (sleep sack on cold nights)

*a hug and a kiss and mommy lays her down and tucks her in, she asks for her bunny and I place it on her belly b/c she rubs it with her fingers.

*mommy says "nite nite, love you" DD says "luvahyou"

*mommy turns out the light, walks out and shuts the door leaving it slightly ajar

Done....when we don't have problems for whatever reason hehehehe

Offline NoonieP

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 20:40:56 pm »
Also if she lies in her cot chatting and getting up and down for an hour should I get her up - is this type of rest considered ok?

My LO is a chatty one when it's bed or nap time. I leave him and he eventually falls asleep. Sometimes it does take an hour but as long as he's not crying, I'm ok with it. He does the same at night. Can chat for an hour, he even quiets down for 10 min or so and then starts up again. Again, as long as there's no tears, I'm leaving him in there. He can't hurt himself.

For nap time, we usually put on Thomas or something without dancing/music, dim the lights and have a few minutes of quiet time in Mommy and Dad's bedroom. I will tell him every few minutes that it's getting close to naptime and soon we'll be taking a nap. I also ask him if he wants to do something after his nap. He will say yes and I'll tell him he must go to sleep so we can do XX when he wakes up. (today we're going to Granny and Granddad's)

I do have to admint, I've been really lucky with LO and sleeping. He's such a good kid at going to bed.

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 11:48:31 am »
Caleb is 17 months old and weve had the same evening routine for about a year, we tried changing it slightly and having milk earlier before wind down in the room but found he wouldnt settle for bed so weve gone back and hes fine again, heres what we do

after dinner its bath time wiht Daddy, then Mummy dresses him and he runs around like a madman letting go of all his energy, then usually about 45min later we start our wind down at 6.40pm
go to bedroom, put on fresh diaper
put on sleep sack
brush teeth
have bedtime milk from sipper cup, sitting on Mums lap in the rocking chair with the lights dimmed
read two books together in the rocking chair
turn off light
cuddles while standing by the crib in the dark (if theres a small amount of light in his room he will not settle here)
say prayers
pop into bed, say goodnight sweetheart and leave

thats it, all in all about 20mins

Offline kikoz

• Chris
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Grateful for every moment
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 18:18:30 pm »
Hi lo is 2 and 2 months
Here is our bedtime routine
- 530 diner
- 6 to 7 activity time to get her tired
- 7 bath time,
- 720 - 730 pjs, brush hair, say goodnight to dad
- 730-750 /55 turn off lights, drink milk and water (this is the only way she would have her milk bottle) tell story, talk about day, pray , kiss and hug, leave room while she is still awake. She usually calls me back for another hug or drink.
- 8 asleep

Hth
-

Offline Lewa2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 11:27:08 am »
We have a similar routine to many PP's:

5:30 Dinner
6:00 Bath
6:20 Dry off, naked play (very active to get rid of last bit of energy).
6:40 DS (2.5yrs) downstairs with milk and TV, DD (11 months) bottle, stories and bed in her bedroom
7:00 Brush DS teeth and go potty, sticker for good toilet training, nappy on and into bed
7:15 Lights off and "talk bout Zachy's day" which can go on for up to an hour (with mummy there, not by himself) as well as 2 or 3 more trips to the toilet (with wees - so don't want to limit this)

I've got a question for everyone - when do you fit in dinner for yourselves?  DH gets home around 6:30 - 7:00, so it's too late for him to join the kids, and I like to eat with him, but this often means we don't eat till 9:00 by the time Zach goes to sleep and we cook

Offline kikoz

• Chris
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Grateful for every moment
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 18:38:44 pm »
I personally prepare diner in the afternoon, so when dd is asleep we eat diner- usually between 8-830pm. A bit late but no other choice really.

Offline *foxy*

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 11:14:39 am »
We're having BT issues (taking 45mins-1 hour to go to sleep) and its really interesting reading what everyone does to wind their LO's down at the end of the day. I thought we were alone with it taking so long! Its so good to hear that we're not! Our DD is very active after the bath and one mum has posted about 'naked play' which sounds great to get rid of that last bit of energy! I think I might try that! I might also try 'In The Night Garden' to see if that helps too!

*Kate*

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 19:12:37 pm »
*foxy* - just wondering if you're experiencing '18mo sleep regression' http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=176250.0? Sounds very much like what we're getting and many others on that thread!

I was just wondering what people do with their spirited toddlers when OT at BT? My DS isn't classic spirited, but has always found it very difficult to switch off when too tired, and now gets extremely hyper! We haven't changed our BT routine much since DS was around 8-9mo, just the timings and books etc. Now, it's something like:

[exact timings depend on WU, nap, etc - we're not yet into a nice routine after the 2-1]
7pm nappy, prepare bath and generally give him warning that play time's nearly over
7:15 bath, dry and moisturise (can get v dry skin otherwise), into pj's
7:30 into sleeping bag, main lights off, bf, teeth and meds if needed (e.g. teething gel, Calpol, nasal spray)
7:50ish story time, then lamp off and short cuddle+prayer before PD around 8ish

Only now, there's lots of screeching, running around, bouncing in his cot, frantically trying to grab everything in sight, looking around for other books before we've finished the first one (when v tired I limit to just one, otherwise we may do two), just generally being so hyper. I keep trying to stay calm myself and tell him it's 'calm-down, sleepy time' etc etc, but not sure this has much impact when he's standing in his cot bouncing up and down with a crazy glint in his eye! He does seem to enjoy our little cuddle once I've turned the lights out, but however much he might seem to calm down during that time, he springs back into life as soon as he goes into his cot. And I am talking about times when he's definitely OT and there's absolutely no chance of UT - when UT he's certainly lively, but just not as hopelessly crazy!

Any tips?

Offline *foxy*

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 20:57:43 pm »
Hi trimbler, thanks, yes Ive had a look on that thread. I THINK and hope and pray we've come out the other side. DD is almost 20mo now so its taken a while!

We've recently changed our wind down routine as we were getting exactly the same problems. It takes 1.5 hours but it seems to be working! DD is spirited so takes a long time to wind her down.

Bath 6pm-6.10pm (she asks to get out)
Into our bedroom where the curtains are drawn, its low lighting. Watch 'In the Night Garden' as we put nappy on, moisturise, pyjamas on and into sleeping bag. She has her milk quietly whilst watching the programme and then does her teeth. We say good night to all the characters as they go to bed.
6.40pm say goodnight to mummy or daddy and then into her room. It's dark apart from some low lights. We say goodnight sun on her grow clock and put on her night time music.
Read 1-2 books. Talk through her day then lights out. Cuddles and into her cot.
It takes around 30 mins for her to go to sleep, we stay with her still as we've found its not the right time for GW atm. Asleep 7.30pm

Have you tried a longer wind down time? It's so hard when they're wired at BT. Things like chamomile and lavender can be calming. I'm quite into alternative therapies atm! :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 21:07:14 pm by *foxy* »

*Kate*