Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters  (Read 74858 times)

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
Support thread for moms of picky eaters
« on: September 11, 2006, 18:04:14 pm »
Hi - I am just wondering if others would be interested in a support thread if they are dealing with a really picky toddler.  I have seen some posts recently that make me think that others are in the same boat that I am.  My dd has never been a good eater, and things have been ok for a while, and now they are going down the tubes again.  I am back to dreading meal times and not knowing what/how I am going to feed her. 

Is anyone else in need of support and a place to whinge/whine/pout/shout??? :-\
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 14:18:44 pm by Lucysmom »

andibig

Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 20:35:41 pm »
LOVE the idea ;D

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 21:51:32 pm »
Count me in!  Lilah has periods when she'll eat relatively well, but then she will have periods where she'll eat next to nothing all day-- for days.  And her repertoire of accepted foods is quite small and always changing, just to keep me on my toes.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 21:55:13 pm »
We have the same problem. Some days all DS1 will eat is dry bread for breakfast (his choice, not mine - honest!) and maybe a handful of grapes. 
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 21:56:25 pm »
Great idea!!  We just need a a global mod to sticky this.  Hint hint...   :-*
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline evan's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 22:28:20 pm »
I'm in!

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 22:48:55 pm »
 ;D  I am glad I am not alone!

So tonight I was out with dd doing some shopping and normally I would have left to go home and feed her.  Well, since meal times are such disasters these days, I said the heck with it and let her eat some chicken nuggets  :-[ and a few fries  :-[ from Wendy's.  I knew she would eat these things so even though I knew they were not very good for her, I let her eat them.  I have tried making fries and nuggets from scratch at home, and she does not like them.  I just want to scream WTF?!?!?!?!?  Of course, I don't.  :-X  I also recently made one of Annabel Karmel's recipes for yogurt pancakes (had to substitute soy products) but they were YUMMO!!!!!!!!!!  I mean sooooooo good they were practically orgasmic.  I don't think she even took a bite.   :(  What kid does not like pancakes? 

So that is my rant and confession for the evening.  Any other takers?

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 00:39:43 am »
Mine hates pancakes too.  For lunch one day she ate 1/2 a Wendy's nugget, 1/2 a fry and about an ounce of water. She's lactose intolerant and they have no juice choice there.  >:( 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

andibig

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 17:10:29 pm »
Lucys mom
my confession we let DD have a McDonalds once  :-X. but we did get a fruit bag as well for dessert to make ourselves feel like good parents.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 17:25:58 pm »
I'm SO in. DD is 13 months and pretty darn picky. Luckily she still lets me spoon feed her purees - her table/finger food menu is quite limited. She'll almost always eat grilled cheese (between 1/4-1/2 sandwich without crusts) but that is the only thing she'll eat enough of to actually constitute a meal. She'll also eat Perdue chicken nuggets (one nugget tops), toasted whole wheat English muffin with butter (maybe 1/3 muffin), french toast (maybe half a slice if lucky), few pieces of cheese, Gerber puffs, cheerios, Gerber freeze dried apple bites, Just Bananas and Just Blueberries, wagon wheels, hard pretzel pieces, and rice cakes. I've been trying turkey meatballs, table veggies, hot dog, fish stick and more but so far no luck - she is very picky about how things look and feel... I'm not sure how we're ever going to get her off purees at this rate!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Cari

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Bailey 3 years old ~ Torrance 2 years old
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 17:58:34 pm »
Here is my rant for the day~

Isn't it annoying when you make something that you think they will like, and then they throw it on the floor?  Sometimes my daughter won't even try it, or let me put it on her plate!  Then I end of feeding her cereal for dinner.  Aarrgh!

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 18:11:34 pm »
AMEN to that!!  DD is on a banana strike lately.  She usually eats most of one.  My standby is yogurt with Wheetabix mixed in.  Bless those clever Brits!!   :-*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 18:16:22 pm »
That sounds interesting Jenn. How much/what flavor yogurt and how much Wheetabix? Do you smush up the Wheetabix?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 18:32:52 pm »
Naughty mama uses the yo-baby yogurt.  Any flavour, but I don't get the banana and vanilla ones, she is less than thrilled by those.  Anywho, one carton, I crush 1 biscuit in and stir.  Med and small pieces.  Then, when it starts thickening as the stuff softens, I add some milk.  Good way to get some more calories in her.  She seems to do best at breakfast with any foods, but this she will generally gobble down.  Hmm, maybe I should try supperly stuff for breakfast... 
ETA: I just talked to daycare.  The silly Hobbit will eat fine if it's toast or yogurt for breakfast.  Otherwise, not so good.  Then she may eat really good for lunch.   ::)  Just when I thought I had her figured out for a bit...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 20:13:57 pm by mouse mom »

andibig

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 20:09:10 pm »
She seems to do best at breakfast with any foods, but this she will generally gobble down.  Hmm, maybe I should try supperly stuff for breakfast... 
Quite a lot of people do that ;D. Funny cos the one meal DD will always eat is dinner