Author Topic: Starting cereal....what about EASY  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: September 12, 2006, 11:55:07 am »
We are going to be starting cereal with my son this weekend.  I want to do it in the morning.  Can I see some routines with a 3.5 hour EASY and cereal added to it?  We are only going to start it once a day at first and then add it at night too if all goes well. 

Offline rebecaq

• Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
Re: Starting cereal....what about EASY
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 13:03:51 pm »
Hi there

When I introduced solids to ds's diet I would nurse him first, then wait about 30 - 45 mins and give him his cereal. So the morning would look like this

7 - Wake and feed
7:15 - Activity
7:30 - Cereal
7:45 - Activity
8:45 - Nap

HTH

- Beca
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 14:25:48 pm »
I just noticed though that your LO is only 3.5 months, why do you want to add solids now?? I think your LO is to young at this stage and it can cause a lot of problems for you both.
Kimberly

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 14:36:35 pm »
He has acid reflux so my ped wants me to start it.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 15:39:29 pm »
OK My DD also has acid reflux please learn from me don't do it.. It makes things sooooo much worse. It also wont help sleep he'll actually wake more often. Hold off as long as you possibly can on solids.
Did her give you anything else to use? any other information?
like making sure your LO is on an angle when he sleeps, the swaddle often helps. Sometime drugs are given.
Please stop by the colic and reflux bored and check out the information there. You'll find a lot of great advice and support.
Kimberly

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 02:39:00 am »
I agree with Kimberly my DD also had reflux and it didn't help alot. Is you DS bottlefeed or breastfeed? It is also recommended that babies be on 4hr EASY when starting solids. Please check out the Solids FAQS section for information on Reflux and solids and starting solids to early.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 17:29:07 pm »
That's weird.  My 2 year old daughter had reflux and we put her on cereal at 8 weeks and it helped a lot!  I guess every baby is different.  My son is sleeping 12+ hours at night so I'm not trying to help with sleep!

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 18:41:21 pm »
8 weeks!!! yikes thats early. I'm suprised you didn't have problems. 8 weeks is WAY to early. Every baby is different, but thats pushing your luck to much. I don't even know an 8 week old who can sit up to eat, never mind swallow on his own. The chances of allergies, constipation, chocking, and other complications is just way to high.
Reflux babies usually get worse with solids. Especially if they are started earlier. An imature tummy is worse with reflux. Are you sure its reflux your dealing with and not something else? I can't see any doctor saying solids are OK at 8 weeks due to the risks involved. WHO recomends 6 months for a good reason.
Please don't take this as an insult, its not. I'm just shocked.
My Dad tried to get me to give DD solids that early saying it would make her sleep, and not spit up. I'm glade I waited because when I did start my DD who also slept 12 hours started waking 2-5 times a night, was constipated and threw up more. My DD was a lot older then yours too.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 18:48:55 pm by Kimberly »
Kimberly

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 01:00:22 am »
I'm sure he has reflux.  My daughter had it as well.  We know the symptoms by now!  And our ped confirmed it. 

It's funny that your saying how horrible cereal is at 8 weeks.  I was on cereal at 4 weeks old as was most of my family and friends! haha.  Back then we were off the bottles by 6 months old and on to eggs, cereal, etc.  Funny how the times have changed.  Not saying I'm this way with my children, but cereal certainly didn't do any of those things to my daughter either.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 12:18:06 pm »
Yeah well my dad had his DD (37 years old now) on cereal at 2 weeks and now she has a list of allergies a mile long.

There is a VERY good reason to wait. There are also better ways to treat reflux. At least try the reflux bored and try some idea's please. I honestly think you can get a lot of help and support there. I know I did.
Kimberly