Author Topic: Help! tried dream feed and it didn't work - am I doing something wrong?  (Read 857 times)

Offline blondegirl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

My son will be 10 weeks old on Friday and he's a healthy 14+ pounds now (born at 9lb6oz) so gaining steadily and rapidly through exclusive breastfeeding.

He has had several 4-5 hours stretches of sleep and two 6 hour stretches last week all starting around 8:30-9:15.  I thought he was ready to try a dream feed so that I can move that stretch of sleep to a more reasonable time for me.

We fed at  6, started bedtime routine at 7:30, fed by 8 and was asleep soon there after with little effort.  I decided to express milk for the 11pm feed as I didn't know how to breast feed with out waking him.  He took the whole bottle (3oz) but left just a little, so he wasn't looking for more without waking.  He has slight reflux and gas problems so it was obvious he needed to burp.  I rolled him on his side and he burped and fell asleep with about 3-4 minutes of patting and shushing.  Wow - I thought this was simple - I never removed him from the crib.  But he woke up at 2:30 - exactly 3 hours after he fell asleep.  I tried just giving him a pacifier and soothing him back to sleep and he did - for about 10 min, then the same - pacifier/soothe, another 10-15 min, then  he woke again - so I gave up and fed him and then he was pretty much as usual woke around 5:30 for another feed. 

So other than delaying the 2:30 feed for about 45 min, the dream feed did not seem to affect him at all.

Did I do something wrong?  Should I try something different?  Or do I just need to keep trying?

please help!  desperately looking for a nice solid 5 hours of sleep! 

Here are the answers to the needed questions:

How old is your child?  9 1/2 weeks
What’s his/her daily routine?  after morning wake, plays alone with mobile for a while, then we go for a walk or to an activity, he naps for anywhere from 1-3 hours, usually another activity, another nap, then playing with dad, then night routine
What’s nap routine?  no nap routine yet - some times he sleeps on the go, sometimes in a swing
How long are naps?  anywhere from 1-3 hours
What's bedtime routine? Time?  bath, massage, story, feed, swaddle, minimal (less than 5 min) soothe sleep - usually around 8, started at 7:30 last night
Do you bottle or breastfed??  exclusive breastfeeding with occasional expressed milk bottle
How much? or how long?  every 2-3 hours, 10-20 min (I have a very large supply and he gets quite a bit quickly)
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)  depends - if he's full on one, which sometimes happens, just one, sometimes both
How many wakes per night?  prior to starting the night feed, around 1:30/2:30, then 4:30/5:30, then 6:30/7 and then up for the day
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?  if gassy until he burps a few times he screams - if not, basically I can swaddle, shhh, and walk away
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?  when he's doing the "angry fussing" - whichleads to screaming if you don't do something.
What have you tried to settle??  yes
What do you do for A time and how long is it?  shhing, pacifier, rubbing belly until he fell drowsy
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?  not that I know of
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)  no
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?  pacifier - only sucks for a few min and spits it out, I don't give it back then
Do they have a lovie?  no

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 12:39:27 pm by blondegirl »

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Help! tried dream feed and it didn't work - am I doing something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 14:34:49 pm »
i don't really know what advice to give you as i haven't decided if a df helps us or not yet.  When ds was a couple of weeks old one night he slept till 4am so i decided to df to see if it would send him through.  We have as a rule found he wakes around 3hrs after df.  one night i stopped it and he woke up around 45 mins earlier than with df so i reintroduced it but he then started waking at this new time.  i did w2s which pushed him to 4am for a while then had one dodgy night and now back to waking 3 hrs after df so starting w2s again as he doesn't require a feed until 4/5am. like you i don't know whqt to do for best.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Help! tried dream feed and it didn't work - am I doing something wrong?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 19:51:56 pm »
Hi there,

The dreamfeed can take at least a week or so for you to actually notice any difference.  At 10 weeks you could still expect a night waking.

I am attaching a link for you to have a  look at with regards to Dreamfeeding.  If you scroll down to the last post, it give you information on introducing the dreamfeed.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.msg380562#msg380562

If you have any questions please let us know.

HTH

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007