Author Topic: 2 1/2 year old major trouble going to sleep  (Read 888 times)

Offline novamom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2 1/2 year old major trouble going to sleep
« on: September 12, 2006, 19:22:35 pm »
My 2 1/2 yr old has always gone down so well and been a wonderful napper and sleeper.
For the past month he has been very difficult.  Everytime I put him down for a nap or for bed he screams "No Noise!"  Like any little thing he hears scares him (ie: plane, car, bird, dog, etc...). 
Put him down to bed around 8:30 and won't fall asleep until 10:00pm!!!  Cries and screams the same phrase, "no noise." 
We go up there a few times, but are afraid we are starting a bad habit.  HELP!

Not napping well, either.  Usually just twice a week now.  I still put him in his room every day for nap, but it usually doesn't happen.

What do I do?  He has his 2 yr molars coming in.  But why is he screaming "no noise"?????

HELP PLEASE!

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: 2 1/2 year old major trouble going to sleep
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 19:37:22 pm »
Can you talk to him about it? my ds is 26 mo and is starting to mention me he's "scared" of some noises (like the trees that plop into the window or the doorbell.. have to agree on this one with him, i also hate it LOL)... i make ds face his fears while awake, listening to different sounds and explaning him that at first i was also scared but then i realized it was just a: dog, cat, car, etc. Lots of practice with it during daytime and it can become a fun game.

You can also mask the outside sounds with a white noise machine or soothing music and ask him if that works better for him.

Talk to him a lot about it and try and get more info about the noise, is it something that is scaring him now? was a loud noise in the past weeks that frightened him and now he's obsessed with it and causes him anxiety? is he doing this because he knows this will bring mommy back to bedroom for playtime? (of course, he won't answer on this one but you can figure out from other answers and behaviour).

If molar pain is making him be upset, the right dosage of meds will help you on this one. Check with your ped. My ds tends to say the weirdest things (That usually have nothing to do with the real thing) whe he's feeling cranky, like go away daddy (and daddy is not even in the house) or i don't want to sing (and we're not singing...) i guess is just out of the frustration and upsseting, that they want to express that something's wrong but don't know how to do that or what to say to get the reaction they're looking for.

Don't minimize his fears or ignore them. Stay an extra 5 mins in the room when putting him down to reassure him. Give extra cuddles... and an earlier bedtime on days he misses a nap. It is also common for them to start skipping naps around the 3 year mark, but offering quiet/down time is just what's adviced... they still need a break in the middle of the day to recover from activities.

Good luck and HTH!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 12:16:32 pm »
Can you show us his routine?  I'm wondering if the noise is keeping him up?  Maybe invest in a white noise machine?

Offline novamom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 12:04:06 pm »
Thanks for the words of advice.  He has gotten a little better.  I'm beginning to think it might have been his 2 yr molars.  The one top one has completely come in now, so we just have one more to go!  We did try talking to him about it all the time and he would never go into great detail. We talked about it during the day and tried to make it into a game or something fun to laugh about.  So, we tried most of the things suggested already.

Routine:
7:00am - wake up
7:30am - Eat b'fast
12:00pm - Lunch
1:00pm -Nap
4:00pm - Wake from nap
6:30pm - Bath with younger brother
8:00pm - Bedtime