Author Topic: At my wit's end - please help!  (Read 935 times)

Offline peasedm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 13, 2006, 16:25:30 pm »
Hoping someone out there can give me some much needed advice as I'm slowly falling apart. I'm having serious problems getting my 5 month old to sleep through the night and don't know where I'm going wrong or how to help him learn how to soothe himself to sleep. Here is some general, background info:

• How old is your child? 5.5 months
  • What’s his/her daily routine? Bottle at about 7am. Daycare at 7:30am. 2 hour nap in a.m., 2 hour nap in p.m. Bath/bottle 7:30pm. Bedtime is 8pm.
  • What’s nap routine? Generally two naps, two hours each (one in the a.m., one in the p.m.)
  • How long are naps? 2 hours each
  • What's bedtime routine? Time? 8pm bedtime. Bath at 7:30pm, followed by 8 oz bottle.
  • Do you bottle or breastfed?? Bottle/formula
  • How much? or how long? He eats 8 oz each bottle - once upon waking, once late morning, once in the afternoon, once at dinnertime, once before bed. AND he wakes up at 2am wanting more!
  • How many wakes per night? One
  • What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Very upset, can be up for 2 hours unless I feed him.
  • When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Fussing, crying, tears.
  • What have you tried to settle?? Rocking, singing, walking around, patting back, changing diaper, feeding water... Continually screams until fed formula!
  • Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? Perhaps teething, a little drooly.
  • Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) Yes, eating 3 stage 2 meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Introduced foods because he is always so hungry. He's also a big boy, born at 8 lb 10 oz.
  • Do they have a prop? If so what is it? No
  • Do they have a lovie? No

So here is the problem - my son is waking up between 2am-3am every morning. He will scream, no matter what I try. The ONLY way to soothe him is to feed him. I think I have tried almost everything and am at the end of my rope.

He's already eating 4-5, 8 ounce formula bottles during the day - PLUS three feedings of stage 2 food! I'm concerned about feeding him another bottle at 2am because 1.) he has no other way of getting himself to sleep other than having a bottle, and 2.) he's already drinking *40 ounces* of formula a day PLUS 3 feedings of solid food! Isn't adding another 8 ounces just too much??? He currently weighs about 16 pounds.

I thought maybe he was just going through a growth spurt with all of the eating, but this has been going on for weeks.

Over the past few weeks when he wakes up at 2am-3am, I've been trying everything under the sun to try to help soothe him back to sleep. NOTHING WORKS. Sometimes I'm up for over 2-3 hours, with him screaming and crying for that entire time - then I give him his bottle at about 4:30a.m. - trying to stretch him out as long as I can. Of course, all of the screaming wakes up our 22 month old in the next room. I'm now at the point where I want to give up and just go in there when he wakes up and feed him to spare myself, my daughter, and my DH from being up ALL NIGHT LONG. It would just be easier and we could all get some rest. But then I'm afraid I'm teaching him that he needs to eat in order to soothe himself.  Last night I tried to let him CIO but it went on for 2 hours. I gave him 3 oz. of water, he still was screaming. DH and I got into an argument about it, so I just gave him a 6 oz bottle of formula. He was asleep 5 minutes later!!!!

DH and I both work full time, and we are both completely exhausted. We are arguing all of the time - and the arguments always end up with threats of divorce and us saying things that we just don't mean. I'm frequently getting migraines due to lack of sleep, which render me basically useless for the entire day. Our DD is having problems sleeping, and is cranky all day long at daycare. I'm having problems concentrating at work; DH is always going into work late and leaving early.  The last thing we need is to lose our jobs, or to have our marraige fall apart, or both. Neither of us are good parents due to severe sleep deprivation over the last 6 months - all of this cannot be good for the children.

What can we do to instill some healthy sleep habits? FYI, we didn't have this problem with our DD, guess we were lucky with her (she slept through the night by 4 months) - so this is all new to us.

Is dreamfeeding at around 11pm an option? I could cut down the ounces on a couple of the other daytime bottles. I'm so afraid of overfeeding and creating poor habits..

Thanks in advance for any help, support and advice!

Deena
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 16:28:39 pm by peasedm »

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 18:48:32 pm »
it certainly sounds like your lo is hungry i would try to df and i wouldn't cut back on other feeds either he obviously needs it.  df worked really well for my first son though not looking so good for my second but def worth a try. remember it can take a week to establish a df.  W2s works well for habit waking but it does sound like your lo is hungry and if that is the case w2s won't work. i know what sleep deprivation is like so big hugs to you.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline mari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
Re: At my wit's end - please help!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 19:00:48 pm »
(((((((((((((hugs))))))))))
I am going through the same thing, I know how bad it gets.  Hang in there, we have to.lol

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 19:33:38 pm »
I know where you are coming from.  My DD (who is now 3.5 years) slept through at 14 weeks...no feeds, very few wakings.  My DS who is now 6.5 months JUST stopped waking to eat in the past 10 days.  I figured, hey, my DD slept through, what am I doing wrong?  I soon came to accept that they are just such different kids, and that includes eating/sleeping habits.  It IS frustrating though, I know.

What we did was to try to settle him first for about 20 minutes.  If he was still upset I would feed him.  I personally wouldn't wait 2-3 hours.  Maybe try to give him half a feed (4oz?  I BF so I'm not sure) just to get him through the night, but so he's not counting on the extra calories during the night?

You do whatever you feel is right, but he is obviously a hungry boy if he is already on 3 solids a day at 5.5 months. 

Good luck!

P.S.  Do you have a good babysitter/family member who could babysit?  Sounds like you and your DH could use some time out for dinner together :)

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 20:10:56 pm »
Hi there!

Just wanted to mirror what Stacey said that REALLY you have a wonderful baby for only waking once a night! At 5 months I was doing a dreamfeed and two or 3 nightwakings. Two of those wakings I would feed my daughter. I know it is probablly really tough with you both working and lack of sleep etc. Maybe (if you aren't already doing this) you can take turns. One night your husband can wake and feed and the second night you can. That way at least you can get a solid night's sleep every other night! 
   I know you both feel exhausted and aggitated that your baby won't sleep through but I beg to you reconsider letting him CIO. The BW method teaches us (as moms and dads) a different way to teach our little ones to sleep.  Take a look at this thread if you are intersted in 'why' Baby Whisperer is against CIO.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63839.0

I think your baby is actually doing well! 
5 months is still really young!

:) Shelby
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 20:17:19 pm by shelliz »

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 23:18:04 pm »
I'm with the PPs - clearly your DS is hungry and therefore you should feed when he wakes. It's not at all unusual to still have a night feed at his age. I also would have killed for my DS to only be waking once at 5.5 months!

And ditto to Shelby too about the CIO. Please, please don't do it again - it's not in anyone's best interest and we do not support that method on this board.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o