Author Topic: New to EASY...need suggestions please  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Mibster

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 13, 2006, 22:48:49 pm »
I just started the program today.  My LO is 8w old, 2 months on Friday.  I'm thrilled to finally have some sort of routine to go by as my LO has not been taking any crib naps since 2w old.  I don't know how the routine ended, but somehow it did and he wouldn't have anything more to do with being put in the crib.  It resulted in an extremely fussy baby.  We thought he was colicky, but I always suspected some of it had to do with being overtired.  I see today that that was definitely the case.  He was not an Angel baby today, but definitely happier.   :)

My question....we have no problem with the concept of swaddling.  We have had to do that since day one in order to get him to go to bed at night.  His arms and legs are in constant motion and he can't sleep unless swaddled.  My problem is that during the day, when I try to put him down for a nap, he fights it like nobody's business.  He cries and screams and struggles.  In fact, when I tried to put him down for his second nap today, I spend most of the nap time trying to get him to sleep.  It got very frustrating.  Any suggestions for helping him go for his naps?  Will it get easier as I continue with the program?  Thatnks in advance.  Any words of encouragement or support would also be greatly appreciated.  My husband and I feel like we have no idea what we're doing.

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: New to EASY...need suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 03:44:11 am »
How soon after he wakes do you try to put him back down? Could your A time or wind down be to long? What do you usually do?
Kimberly

Offline Mibster

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 11:16:24 am »
I watched him during the activity time and when I saw 3 yawns we headed in for the wind down.  The wind down was spent relaxing and then I swaddled him, and that's where the struggle begins.  I can tell he's tired but he's struggling against the swaddle and that just gets him going.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 11:36:11 am »
start at or before the first Yawn.
By the 3ed yawn your entering the overtired zone. Keep wind down short and simple
See if that helps
Kimberly

Offline Mibster

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 11:45:59 am »
This morning his first yawn was right after he finished eating.   :-\  He is kicking and flailing his arms during the wind down.  Then, when I try to swaddle him, he's just a screaming mess.  How long do you mean when you say to keep the wind down short and simple?  I try just relaxing with him in the glider, but he's all arms and legs when I try that.  I try swaddling him, and he just becomes a madman.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 12:13:23 pm by Mibster »

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 14:06:04 pm »
at 8 weeks a feed and a diaper change are often all they can handle. Maybe for wind down keep it as a diaper change, swaddle, soft talking or singing and into bed. Swaddle right away so the flailing arms doesn't wake him more.

DD at that age was diaper change swaddle bed. She couldn't handle rocking or even the swing they we to stimulating. Also make sure the room is quiet and dark.

The less stimulation the better.
Kimberly