Author Topic: 3.5month old suddenly waking  (Read 1636 times)

Offline OliverRowland

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: September 14, 2006, 02:40:43 am »
How old is your child?
What’s his/her daily routine?
What’s nap routine?
How long are naps?
Hi, I have a 3.5 month old boy who was sleeping through the night up until last week.  Now he is waking up 2-3 times per night.  Usually in the late evening 10-11:30, early morning 1-3am, and then again at 5am.  The 10-11:30pm wake is often a sudden cry without warning of waking. I don't feed him when he wakes, but shh back or pick up and try to settle him again (30-60min). I also notice that he is much louder through the night (grunting/groaning) and very wiggly.  I often go in to place him back on his side (he is swaddled) and keep a hand on him for a few minutes. that sometimes quiets him down for awhile.  I also turn his white noise cd back on. So not sure which of those has settled him for a bit.  Also, he is a very large 3.5month old....20+lbs!!!!!!!  His naps were never easy but they are getting more challenging now as well.  Please help....what is going on and what can I do to get him back on track?/????

What's bedtime routine? Time? bath at 6:30, then feed 7ish then burp, change, swaddle
Do you bottle or breastfed?? BF
How much? or how long? nno idea how much but I have always had issues with too much milk...in the am's he is done in 10min on one side and when tired can stay on for 30min (with losts of rest breaks.)  I give him a bottle 1x per day and he eats between 5-8oz.
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night? Now 2-3x
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? We get to him before he cries.  At times he can go bcak to sleep with a hand on him and shhing or needs to be picked up and resettled (30min)
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?
What have you tried to settle?? see above.  sometimes use a paci (not often), may rock in chair or sit and gently bounce on exercise ball
What do you do for A time and how long is it? he is on a 3.5 hour EASY.  A is about 2 hours
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? not rolling....may take a while with his girth!!!
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) NO
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? hmmm, don't think so
Do they have a lovie?no
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 3.5month old suddenly waking
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 03:33:06 am »
So he isn't having ANY night feeds? there is a growth spurt around 3months & it could be that, have you tried offering feeds... not feeding at night doesn't always help stop the waking there are many other reasons for waking than hunger in a baby over about 3/4months & the list gets longer as they get older

I also have had 2 bigh babies around the 10+lb at about 3.5mo & one did ok with 5 day feeds at that age lasted from 7.30pm- 5am without a feed, but the other still fed at 10pm & 3am & then had 4-5 day feeds. I found with both that at age under 6mo that if they didn't settle in 2-3mins I would feed them & they slept much better for it.

Does he fall asleep on the last feed of the day, as that can be a big reason for night waking with a sleep association to the sucking.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline OliverRowland

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 12:06:18 pm »
No, no night feeds....hasn't had one for several weeks.  When on 3 hr EASY he cluster fed at night.  He has 5 feeds during the day (6:30, 10, 1:30, 5 and 7pm).  i tried DF but it was disasterous....he always woke and it made him very gassy.  I don't put him down at night immdeiately after his last feed.  He is upright to burp for at least 10 min , sometimes with a book, then I change one more time, then start to swaddle and settle him in.  Is that ok?   
last night was better: woke screaming at 10:30 but was easy to settle back down.  Then my husband was in with him to shh/place hand on and turn white noise on at 1am and 5 am ish.....he gets extra groan/grunty and very wiggly and we go in to prevent waking (not sure that he would though).  Then he woke at 6am and we sat in rocking chair with paci until 6:30 (he fell asleep again). Do you have any ideas as to why he is so much more grunty/groany and wiggly at night?  I find him even more wiggly at nap time too!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 22:00:11 pm »
5 feeds at 3.5mo & a big boy may not be enough, if he keeps waking I'd be offering at least one night feed to rule out hunger.
It may be something you eat that makes him wiggly, can't really say, my ds#2 did that when he was overtired or hungry
Also I really think if he is awake for up to an hour at night at such a young age hunger is what I think is a big red flag for me, I certainly think if it was me the first thing I would do in my children is feed esp as 6-8 hours without a feed at 4 months old is considered a good stretch.
If it still continues after 2-3 days of offering a feed when he wakes, then it would be time to look at other things, but the long wake up & only 5 feeds just says to me food.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 23:28:46 pm »
I'm with Kate, I think a night feed is in order.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o