Author Topic: A time for 12 mth old  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
A time for 12 mth old
« on: September 14, 2006, 05:02:16 am »
We are transitioning to one nap and our A time is all over the place. I have looked at the sample routines but it doesnt provide samples during transition. I am having a hard time reading my bub cues. I know ever lo is different, but are there any cut off points?

This was today's routine:
7:15 wake
11:15 nap

1:20 wake
7:20 bed

was the last A time too long?

Offline Two mummies

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • Riley
Re: A time for 12 mth old
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 05:11:57 am »
We are struggling with the transition to one nap at the moment as well. So far Riley's routine looks like this:

6.00am wake-up (she's always up early)
8.30am nap
1.30pm long nap
6.30pm bedtime

At the moment the 8.30am nap varies between no sleep, tiny catnap of 20 minutes and the very occasional full 45 minutes. If we let her sleep too long at 8.30am she refuses to have an afternoon nap so she's awake from 10am through to bedtime!

We have tried skipping the morning nap altogether and we find this works only if we are able to have a really good wind down and we get her into her cot by 1.00pm. Any later and she is overtired and won't go down at all!!!

I don't think there is any magic solution to the 2-1 nap transition and its very very very very frustrating  :-X
Sophie & Jo
Same-sex parents

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 06:07:11 am »
Our routine at 12 months
7am brakefast
9am sippy of milk and snack
11:30am Lunch
12:30pm Nap
3pm Snack and sippy of juice
5:30 Supper
6:30 Bedtime routine
7pm Bedtime

The first 2 weeks trying to get to this routine was hard work and DD was cranky for a lot of it. We moved her AM nap 15 minutes at a time untill we reach 12:30. She sometimes goes down at 11:30-12pm depending how tired she is, we just make sure she has lunch first since she sleeps better then. Before she goes down to sleep we do teeth brushing and diaper change so she doesn't go right down after lunch. Once she settled into it she did very well. She now has one 3 hour nap.

What you have there seems like a very good start. As long as your LO can handle it then no I don't think the A time is to long, however I would suggest you be ready for an earlier bedtime for a while, as your LO settles into the new routine.
HTH

« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 06:09:03 am by Kimberly »
Kimberly

Offline Two mummies

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 06:13:12 am »
Thanks for that Kimberly. We decided to try and drag the afternoon nap back rather than move the am nap forward as it was closer to what we wanted it to be.

We also find if we try to put her to bed earlier she actually plays in her cot until her normal sleep time despite being absolutely buggered!

Babies are weird!

Sophie & Jo
Same-sex parents

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 14:34:10 pm »
Sophie and Jo - I agree with Kimberly, definitely on the right track there.  I had to just eliminate the AM nap with my LO as she wouldn't sleep at all in the afternoon if she napped at all in the morning.  So you're in for some cranky days as she makes the transition, but it will totally be worth it when you get there.  If she's ok playing in her crib, I wouldn't worry about putting her there earlier if you think she needs to be there, she might just be winding down for an extra long time, since she's probably overtired.

Gage's mom - we have a similar routine and DD generally naps around 1/1:30, but it did take us a bit to stretch her out that long.  I would try to push him back slowly until you get to somewhere around 12:30/1, just by 15 minute increments at a time.  I found that getting out in the AM when transitioning helped tremendously as it kept her awake and interested.  The only tough thing was getting her to stay awake in the car on the way home if we had gone somewhere. 

To both of you -- I know there's a great thread in the nap forum for people switching from 2 to 1 naps, you might want to check it out if you have any other questions :)

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 15:55:27 pm »
Thanks ladies for your replies. We are having several probs. right now with this transition. 1. he likes to have a long nap in thhe morning which makes the second A time no less than 4.5 hrs if I am lucky ::) 2. I have tried an earlier bedtime, and he just wakes up earlier. This presents a very vicious cycle.

I have tried shortening up the first nap, but it always comes back to bite me as the second nap is terrible or nonexistent. Anyway, I have trying to extend him slowly so we will see where that takes us. Yesterday was perfect, he had a 2hr nap and slept 12 hrs at night :o I wish everyday could be that good. Fingers crossed! :) Good luck two mummies! 

Offline andrea21

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 17:11:36 pm »
Gage's mom what time did you do lunch?
I am sorry to but in here,but your sleep times are what I am aiming for with my DS.He is only 9months old,but we are returning to Australia in 2.5 weeks and i need to have his sleep all finished by 2.45pm.We are trying one now and having one good day/one bad day.

If anyone else has advice would be appreciated as your advice here sounds really good...

Thanks
Andrea...

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 17:14:34 pm »
Gage's mom -- just keep trying to push that first nap back then and you'll (eventually) get there.  We got to the point where my LO just flat out refused nap #2 if she took an AM nap, so we had to deal with it that way.

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 19:39:04 pm »
Andrea 21, what time is your lo's bedtime? 9mths is pretty little to go to one nap. If you post your routine I can maybe help tweak it. I serve lunch after Gage wakes up. For once his VERY small tummy pays off as he doesnt get hungry that often.  ::) With that said I did give him a small snack before I laid him down today just to be on the safe side.

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 19:44:57 pm »
Thanks he still needs to sleep,but i need to have them in finished by 2.30pm...

this is the last few days...

6-7awake
7am bottle
7.30am breaky
9.10-9.30am cat nap in car if he wakes early,he has done this since Monday

11am lunch
11.30am bottle
11.45 sleep all depends wake up time on a good day until 2/2.15pm on a bad day until 1.15pm

3/3.30pm snack
5.30pm tea

he use to go to bed at 7.30/8pm when he was having a sleep later but I was bringing it forward and he does go down anytime between 6.45/7.30pm but then wakes up again  and doesn't stop crying for hours...

He has been on2 naps a day since6months but he was napping up until 4pm...

any advice please?

Andrea...

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 00:11:14 am »
okay here are a couple of thoughts. 1. Your bub is probably overtired as he is not getting enough rest in the morning. Is there anyway that nap can be extended? 2. If you dont mind me asking why does the naps need to be finished by 2:30? I was just wondering as there may be different ways to get around it. Anyway, I have worked up 2 proposed routines, but you will have to wake your lo at 6am. Let me know what you think?

6am wake
9:00 sleep
9:45 wake

1:00 sleep
2:30 wake
6:30-7:00 bed

OR

6am wake
9:00 sleep

10:30 wake
1:45 sleep

2;30 wake
6:30/7 bed

Most los this age have between 2-3hrs of daytime sleep and 11-12hrs night time sleep to be well rested. Your lo maybe a little different, but most likely your "bad" days are because he is overtired.
hth
Alice

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 05:05:20 am »
Alice....

Right now those times in the morning are no good.I have to take DD to school and she doesn't start until 9.30am,but when I go to Aus they would work.And she has to be picked up and we have to leave home no later by 2.30pm as we are about half an hour from the school...

I was thinking that,but even when he had 2.5hours sleep before 2.30pm he still wouldn't go to sleep so not really sure how to work around this?

Thanks
Andrea...

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 05:26:14 am »
Maybe if you continue the 20 min nap in the car, and then put him down earlier for the second nap to compensate? So maybe he could have a second nap at 12:30 or 1:00. Then he could have a nice long nap before before you pick up your other lo.

Just another thought

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 05:43:03 am »
Will try that today and see how he goes....

Thanks
Andrea...

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 09:52:02 am »
So Far so good...

Had 45min the car this morning
Had lunch at 11.30am and going to give bottle soon,will try to get down by 12.45 for the next sleep...

Will keep you posted...

Thanks
Andrea...

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 14:09:22 pm »
Alice...

Just an up date,had the 2 sleeps today 45min in the car this morning and 1.5 hours at lunch time which he would of slept longer but we had to go.He doesn't seem to be as cranky either.Plus he ate his lunch first time in 7 days...

Not sure how he will go tonight,as we are going out for tea,as DH is coming home and the time will be later,but so far so good...

Thanks for your help...

Andrea...