Author Topic: night wakings  (Read 714 times)

Offline fernnorris

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 14, 2006, 13:23:52 pm »
My three month old baby used to sleep fairly well during the night- waking once or twice.- However for the past few weeks he has been waking up every 1 to 2 hours. He is dream fed at eleven and I am pretty sure that it is not a hunger issue as he is gaining weight well. He is a windy baby and I am sure that this contributes to the waking- I have elevated the bed to try and ease this but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference I have also used infacol and gripe water which has made some difference. At times he will go back to sleep easily by giving him a dummy - which makes me feel that he wakes up and then is unable to put himself back to sleep. He is a spirited baby and can often escape swaddling within seconds- his arms and legs often whack down on the mattress- which is another influence in the waking process.
His naps during the day are also much shorter than they were- he will often go down well but is then awake within half an hour- at that point he really doesn't want to stay in his cot- however if I get him up he is then tired again within half an hour. I am fairly desperate and have started to use pick up put down today although am not sure whether my baby is too young for this or whether it's suitable for a baby with bad wind.

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: night wakings
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 13:55:47 pm »
do you feed him at all after the 11pm dreamfeed? If not try feeding once, at 3 months going from 11pm to wake-up time may still be to much for him. He's still pretty young and his tummy is still small.
Kimberly

Offline fernnorris

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 17:24:25 pm »
Yes he has one more feed during the night at around 4am. He usually wakes around 2am and we then struggle to get him down again and then following his 4am feed he again is hard to get back to sleep and then wakes every hour after that until 8am when his next feed is. He is very hard to get down after waking both during the night and also during the day when he only naps for 3 x 30mins. Although sometimes his waking is due to wind I am not sure it is always the case and I am at a loss how to get him to sleep longer. We have been using a dummy with him to get him to drop off and although he is still very hard to get to sleep with it, without the dummy it has been impossible. He also tends to wake when the dummy falls out of his mouth. We have tried the PUPD method today but am not really sure whether he is too young for it and also how we deal with the dummy issue with PUPD. Do we dispense with the dummy completely and give PUPD all we've got or is PUPD not the way to go at his age?