Author Topic: Sulking at nappy change time  (Read 4050 times)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Sulking at nappy change time
« on: September 18, 2006, 20:12:37 pm »
Is it normal for (a nearly) 1 year old to take tantrums when I lie him down to get a nappy changed??  I though at first he had a sore bum, however its becoming more and more frequent....

Does he want to be other exciting things rather than getting his bum cleaned?   I have tried offering him a toy for disctraction...

....anyone have any other ideas?
Lauren x

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 20:40:12 pm »
Hi Lauren,

I hope it is normal and also will pass!  We have been dealing with this for almost 2 months now.  It is frustrating!  The odd time, when he has just woke up for e.g, that it is still pleasurable.

I sing a little song I made up, so he knows it is time, so it is a singal.

I speak nicely and explain what I am doing.

I count to 10 and say it will be over faster if you cooperate.

We give toys, books, remotes, mobiles anything to distract.

I have also resorted to putting nappy on standing up!

Sometimes it is a 2 man job.

Putting on trousers is also bloody murder around here lately.

Phew, I'm tired just thinking of it.

I offer some ((HUGS)) I need some too  :(.

It is very annoying because usually he is such an agreeable, happy chappy, so I get so angry (inside and hide it with a smile, well, I try  ::) )

Hope others have some tips.

Ax

Offline milliesmaw

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: Sulking at nappy change time
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 21:46:39 pm »
It's so tiresome isn't it ::) I remember with DD it was the same but she was a wee thing and easier to contain. DS is v strong and I cannot physically hold him. Sometimes a distraction works for about 10 seconds but then it's game over and on to the next angry struggle. I do nappies standing up where I can but when it's a dirty nappy my heart sinks... >:(

I can only hope this phase ( which has been going on for months!) will pass... 
Jo

Mum to Millie
4th November 2003
and Benjamin
31 July 2005

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 21:54:56 pm »
I can give {{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}} but that's about it. Sorry, it doesn't get any better. In fact they find even more ways to drive you up the wall when you want to change a nappy. Things I do that (sometimes ;)) work:

- give him his own wipe and ask him to wipe his own winky. He's getting quite good, finds it funny and it buys me 30 seconds :)

- I've put some animal pictures up on the wall where we do it. I get him to 'talk' (well, ykwim) to them.

- I've started to use the Little Walkers (Huggies, I think). They're a bit like pull-ups, and easier to get on than nappies.

- once he's wiped, he can stand up, but I make sure it's in a place where he can't run away. This means that trousers are easier to put on - once you've lifted one leg, he can't kick the other leg off or he'll fall over (b/c he's standing on it).

- give him his dummy :-[ :-[. He only has it for sleep, so it really helps to calm him.

- when she's here, make my mother do it ;) :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 22:53:05 pm »
LOL Charlie's Mummy, I always get my Mum to do it too.

Thanks for the advice.

Ax

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 04:33:14 am »
Welcome to Todderhood Catherine has been doing this for months now. We stopped using the change table as she fussed so much she fell off ::)Changing her clothes isn't too bad but nappy time is especially at the moment as she has had bad nappy rash due to teething. ***Hugs***

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 04:55:01 am »
when dd1 started this it did not stop until just recently, she is toilet trained, is this a great incentive to toilet train early, you have been given great advise, distraction, distraction, distraction, let him have something that is normally forbidden and change that thing frequently, oh and don't forget the standing nappy

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 05:22:40 am »
Thank you everyone for you great replies, I will definitely have to try some of this  :D

Lauren x

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 19:39:20 pm »
We have the same struggle and clothing...holy cow, I'm tempted to let her just go naked.  She cries the biggest, slopiest, most pathetic tears when we try to change her clothes!  You think we were actually hurting her or something! 

We have little toys that we change frequently or will pop a bottle or paci in her mouth.  If it gets really bad, I give her my cell phone.  It works almost every time.

I guess I'd better practice the stand-up change...last time the leg seam went right up her crack!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline maxysmum

• Steph mummy to Max and Loen
  • Showing Appreciation 145
  • my babies
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 20:08:59 pm »
We're going through this too, sometimes getting him to hold the cream pot or the wipes works but sometimes its like you said, its a 2 man job. i seem to have mastered the standing and crawling nappy change, think we'll try the pull ups soon.

Love

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 20:28:48 pm »
My stepdaughter has this problem with her son who is 16 months old.  My dh went to change his nappy one afternoon and his little grandson was no bother - h just asked him nicely to do things - would you lie down please, could you hold the cream, that kind of thing.

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 12:07:53 pm »
I am going through it as well. But whats strange is that as soon as dh walks in, she is all calm and smiles and tends to let me change her without a fuss. I tried giving her cream but she just wants to eat it and anything else I put in her hand, she just throws away  ::). I hope this is just a phase and I can't wait for it to pass. Mum told me the other day to just get rid of the nappies and toilet train her 100% (including nights). Easier said than done though. Although she uses the potty frequently during the day, she is far from being toilet trained and we are renting, so can you imagine me running after her all day just to catch a wee/poo (with a 4mo as well). Even when she gives me the chance to put the damn nappy on, the minute she stands up, she reaches for her nappy and starts unstrapping them off  ::).

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Andys mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 12:03:44 pm »
Glad to read this thread...Andy is the same!!!  I've tried everything to distract him.  The latest is giving him an old tube of nappy cream.  He opens it up...put a bit on his finger...then put it on his winky...he has at least 3 goes before I am done...and it is so cute!!!

Good luck...Andy's mum.

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 12:50:21 pm »
Looks like it's perfectly normal Lauren  :P

I tried using pull-ups but it wasn't much easier.  I usually end up giving something to Zander to hold which I wouldn't usually let him have but that doesn't stop him wanting to roll onto his front with it.  He's even worse at nursery and screams his head off when they take him out of the playroom - I think he's just cross that he's being taken away from all the toys!

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 16:31:45 pm »
I guess I will hop on the bandwagon here, too.  I was going to start a thread asking for new ideas.  This has been a problem with PJ since he learned to roll over and he only gotten worse since he has gotten more mobile.  Every diaper change has become a horror show.  Beet red face, tears streaming down, arching back, rolling over OH MY GoD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For short periods of time I can distract him with a book or a funny face or making funny noises.  But certainly not long enough to even wipe his bottom clean. 

I was cracking up at asking PJ to wipe his own 'junk'  how absolutely adorable.

I am hoping that the means he will want to learn to use the potty sooner if he hate the diaper so much.

Meg

Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12