Author Topic: Sulking at nappy change time  (Read 4056 times)

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
Re: Sulking at nappy change time
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 16:39:00 pm »
Meg,

I can totally relate.  My ds screams bloody murder through the entire diaper change as I am pinning him down with all my might.  :-[ :-[  If DH is home, he does the diaper changing because Tyler will lie still for him.  :-\ :-\

I also try to give him something to play with.  Try to give PJ a "special" or "unique" toy so that it distracts him.  Even if it is something normally "forbidden"  :-[ :-[ :-[.

Sometimes I give ds my cell phone or a remote control. 

Now I am asking him...."Where does your diaper go??"  And I show him the diaper...1 in 10 times he will actually lie down and try to put the diaper on.  It is better than fighting with him 10 out of 10 times...  :-\ :-\ :-\

GOOD LUCK and know that it is completely normal.  Even if it is frustrating!!!
Judy

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 17:00:30 pm »
Same trouble here!  Much better for DH, but I change most of the diapers.  I found that warnings and asking nicely are helping.  Lots of praise after.  And changing in the crib as a last result as she can't get too far!   
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 17:37:09 pm »
Sometimes giving DD a diaper will distract her; and sometimes if I sing and make zerberts on her belly and kiss her face, she thinks it's a game and will at least lay down and not roll or crawl away.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 21:39:04 pm »
Lauren,

Thomas is going through exactly the same thing at the moment.

The mornings are the funniest though - I will get his nappy out and pull his mat out from under the chair, and the runs over to the door, when I come up behind him, he goes onto all fours, stands on his head and thinks that I cannot see him.  When I pick him up he is in fits of laughter, but when we lay him down the screaming starts  :-\

We have resorted to using pull up nappies on occasions and they have worked wonders.

;D

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 21:43:18 pm »
Lay them across your knee on the sofa and just do it as quickly as you can, put a towel over your knee if you suspect a poo.  It's the only way I can manage when they crawl and wriggle, they can't move so easily and it's much easier.  It will take practice but it definitely works for all of them,  I have never failed.  My friend has triplets and a younger daughter and she told me that's what she did.

Offline sujoomama1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 01:05:22 am »
 :D It's so amazing how this affects a ton of people.  I have the same issue with ds and I do the same things you all do....give distracting things or forbidden things to him while we are changing his diaper, sing songs, make funny faces, etc..etc...it's a pain with the clothes too.

Wow...ditto to everything you all said.
Thanks for asking this question and now I know I am not the only one!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 16:23:06 pm »
Quote (selected)
The mornings are the funniest though - I will get his nappy out and pull his mat out from under the chair, and the runs over to the door, when I come up behind him, he goes onto all fours, stands on his head and thinks that I cannot see him.

LOL!!!  That is kind of cute!!!   :) :)
Judy

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Showing Appreciation 52
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 12:20:17 pm »
Sometimes when it is bath time and DS is in an agreeable mood, I give him the changing mat to hold and to lay in the bathroom, then he lays on it and let me clean his bum. It helps if we have taken the clothes off together beforehand too. And no, he's not in a helpful mood all the time !

Offline thedavies

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2006, 21:07:19 pm »
Hi Lauren
we've had this bigtime with our 10mth DD for a while now and here's what we've found works, or at least makes it less traumatic - giving her plenty of things to fiddle about with (like a large basket with spare vests and sleepsuits etc), letting her stand up to pull her musical rabbit mobile (and getting that nappy off/wiped/clean one on double quick whilst she's doing it), learning to put the nappy on her whilst sitting down - basically anything that distracts her and means that you're not making her lie on her back, so I often finish off tricky things like tights or trousers by sitting her on my knee afterwards. I also 'fly' her onto the change table to make her laugh before starting so she's not tense or anticipating a tussle.
We really find that working round her imperative need to be mobile and not on her back, took the traumatic fight out of things and helped us to feel less frustrated by it - yes, its much slower these days but she also is cooperating more by things like helping to put her arms into her sleeves etc and we praise her up loads for it.
Hope this helps and I guess it's good practice for some of those toddler territory issues to come....
mama davies

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 21:18:09 pm »
Please try to lay them across your knee, it really is much easier.  Sit on the sofa and put their bum across your lap so that their head can rest on the sofa (a little upside down, I know).  I childmind a little boy and his mother has awful trouble, he squirms about the floor and screams and cries for her and others in her family, but I have no problems, so I showed his mum what I do and she says that it is much better now. 
My mum had nine children and said that this is the only way that she could change them and my friend has triplets and she did the same for hers.  A tried and tested method!!