Author Topic: Moving from Formula to Whole Milk  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Addysmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Moving from Formula to Whole Milk
« on: September 19, 2006, 09:13:50 am »
Hi,

DS is approaching one year old, and the advice here in the UK is that from 12 months your baby does not need formula any more and to switch to whole milk.  With my first DS I did this gradually, in other words instead of making up 8oz bottles of formula I would make up 6oz bottles and top them up with whole milk for a few days, then do half and half, then more milk than formula.  This worked fine.

However, since starting this with number 2 DS he has been a bit sick after his morning bottle.  It could just be a coincidence but I started this 3 days ago and he has been sick every morning.  He isn't sick after his afternoon bottle, or his night time one so I'm really stumped!  It's not much, and it doesn't distress him.  Also he has been having dairy products since 6 months - cheese, yoghurt, that kind of thing and also whole milk in food and sometimes on his cereal, so I would be surprised if it were a reaction to the milk.  Could it be that maybe it's just the combination of milk & formula making him sick?

He suffers from asthma and is on inhalers twice a day if that makes any difference, and could possibly be teething at the moment too.

Looking forward to any advice you might have!

Thanks in advance,
Jo

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Moving from Formula to Whole Milk
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 13:28:32 pm »
My doctor does not recommend mixing formula and milk - instead when we switched over we just did it one bottle (or in our case, straw cup) at a time over the course of a few days. How is he doing?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Addysmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Moving from Formula to Whole Milk
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 20:31:45 pm »
Hi, thanks for your reply.  He's actually been fine today, I kept a close eye on him after his morning bottle and he wasn't sick at all.  I will try what you suggested though, and give him his afternoon bottle as just whole milk.  I'm trying to get him off the bottle,  but he loves it and does the baby sign for it if I try and give him milk in a cup!  He'll drink his brother's milk out of a cup but not at his own milk time, funny boy!  One step at a time I suppose.

Thanks again for your reply

Jo