Author Topic: Time to bite the bullet (long)  (Read 1790 times)

Offline LucyA

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
Time to bite the bullet (long)
« on: September 19, 2006, 19:46:31 pm »
The time has come for us to hopefully ‘fix’ ds’s sleep issues once and for all (or at least until he’s next teething, or sick etc).

A bit of background: ds turned 1 last week, and has never slept through the night. I have done all the usual ‘wrong’ things, feeding him to sleep, rocking him, bringing him into bed. We have also moved a lot in the last year – we lived in Edinburgh until he was 8 months, but lived in 3 different apartments, we went back to Australia for a few weeks when he was 3 months, at 8 months we moved back to Australia, stayed with family for a couple of weeks then into an apartment, but 3 months later we came back to the UK again. We’re staying in serviced apartments at the moment, but are moving into a house this weekend, and will be there for the foreseeable future. So we have decided that this is the time to attack sleep!

At the moment our day looks like this:

6.30/7 wake – usually has a bf in bed around 5.30/6am
8 breakfast
11.30 lunch
12.15 nap – about 1.5 hours
2.30 bf
5 dinner
6 bath
6.30 bf
7 bed

He usually wakes in the night at around 10.30ish (possibly because dh and I wake him coming to bed) but goes back to sleep pretty easily with a bit of patting/hand holding. Then between 1 and 3 am he wakes and bfs. Then he wakes again around 5 or so, at which point he comes into our bed and I usually bf him again so he’ll go back to sleep. He sometimes wakes more than this, but these wakings are pretty consistent.

For his nap, I know usually more than 1.5 hours would be recommended, but that’s more day sleep than he had when he had 2, or even 3 naps. We’ve only been doing 1 nap for 10 days or so, he stays awake til midday without getting grumpy. He was having a 30 minute first nap and then refusing his second nap but being cranky all day. He’s much happier with this schedule.

Props: At bedtime and during the night he falls asleep feeding. If he doesn’t feed to sleep, he has to be holding my hand to fall asleep. I’ve tried to introduce a lovey, but without success – he flings anything else across the cot. He does suck his thumb, but also needs my hand.

I’m not quite sure how to proceed, but maybe I can start by putting down what I’m thinking so far and asking a few specific questions:

I thought I’d initially get him to fall asleep without holding my hand, but with me still right there next to him, so do a gradual withdrawal kind of thing. I’ve started that already. I guess the next thing to work on is the feeding to sleep – I’m thinking of moving the bedtime bf to between bath and stories, and doing it in a well lit room. Then doing PD as necessary to get him to sleep at bedtime and the first night feed. For this second stage, I’m thinking I should wait until we’ve been in the new house a few nights, so he’s used to his surroundings, what do you think?

Also, ds will be getting his own room for the first time – I thought I’d sleep in his room for a few nights and then move out, maybe stay in there with him until the worst of the PD is over, what do you think?

That’s all I can think of for now, sorry it’s so long!! TIA for any advice/suggestions/questions!
Lucy

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Time to bite the bullet (long)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 19:56:36 pm »
Lucy,

Have you read the gradual withdraw info?  We are currently working with gradual withdraw and it is going well.  I went from standing next to the crib to sitting on the ottoman next to her crib to laying on the floor by the door.  This is where I am stuck at the moment, but since she is sick, I'm not rocking the boat yet.  My next step will be out the door.

We used to spend 20 minutes minimum putting her to bed at anytime (naps and bed).... wi/wo was a nightmare for us.... we stopped when the time it took just got longer and longer (I'm talking 1.5 hours after doing it for a month consistantly).  Now, I lay on the floor and most times she is out in 5 minutes.  Her naps have been consistantly longer since we started this, as well as the nightwakings stopping (except lately with this sickness).

The key to doing it this way is to not go to him if he is not upset, ie, if he stands up, but not crying, don't help him back down, KWIM?  I have learned that Jalyn's mantra cry is louder than I thought... I scared her the other night when I said "you're ok" when I thought she was upset... but then I heard her true upset cry.

Well, that was long, I hope it helps.  I'm not sure about waiting, especially if you are doing gradual withdraw.  HE may learn, "Hey, new house, new routine, ok".  If you do wi/wo, I might consider waiting, since the surroundings will be so strange.  Hope that made sense.

:-* Good luck Lucy!

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 20:22:49 pm »
Hi Lucy!

I think Rachel has given you great advice that matches perfectly with your plan. I can only add that i would cut all bf at night. He's old enough to not need them and perhaps while he gets used to his new surroundings just keep at the 5 amish bf. The other one can be cut down and replaced by a sippy of water or pure patting/holding hand.

I hope this suits you. Good luck with the moving!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline LucyA

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 20:37:07 pm »
Thanks Ladies!
I think I'll leave the bf until the second night we are there - we only move in on Saturday afternoon, so he won't have even had a nap there that night. Gives me a few days to psyche myself up for it, and work on the hand holding.

By the way Rachel, I'm glad to hear your sleeping is improving at last (sickness aside)!
Lucy

Offline LucyA

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 20:49:42 pm »
Just to let you know we're seeing some progress!! 2 nights ago ds woke at 11.30, so I decided I would get him back to sleep by holding his hand, but taking my hand away as he was drifting off. Unfortunately he got pretty upset when I took my hand away, and it took 1 hr 40 minutes to get him back to sleep, but eventually, at just after 1am he slept again, and didn't wake up til 5am!! So no overnight milk!!
Last night he woke a lot, but each time he went back to sleep just by being laid back down again. Sometimes he would wake and sit up again within a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes, sometimes an hour or so. At around 5.30 he wouldn't go back to sleep easily, so I fed him, and we got up at 7am.  ;D
He's also needing less hand holding for his nap.
Once we're in the new house I'll switch the bedtime milk I think.
Lucy

Offline RachelC

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 20:52:22 pm »
Yay for your progress.  Keep up the good work!

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 21:47:53 pm »
Great news!!!!!! once you're all settled down for good it will be much easier. Keep up, excellent work!!!!!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline mumofoscar

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 02:16:14 am »
Sorry for jumping on your post, but sounds like we have a very similar situation with our 14 month old DS, have just finished molars, illness etc, and are wanting to try gradual withdrawal. I have a few questions: when you get to the stage you are sitting/lying away from the cot, do you have a small light on so your lo can see you, or do you rely on your voice to let him know you are still there? also, do you only respond to a genuine cry? and is that response verbal or touch? our DS will stand up almost every time, do you lie him down when he is crying or do you encourage him to lie down himself?
My DH will start the process off, so most of these are to clarify so when I take over we are on the same wavelength.
thanks
Vesna, Oscar's mum

Offline RachelC

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 02:46:33 am »
Hi and welcome to the boards!  ;D

We have a night light in her room.  I do use my voice, but for her, the visual is more important (she pops her head up to peek on me)

I only respond to a genuine cry and like wi/wo I count to 5 before I respond and that response is a verbal, soft "you're ok".  If she stopped before 5, I stop counting and start at 1 if she gets to the cry again.

When we were attempting wi/wo, we would tell Jalyn to lay down and not physically do it ourselves.  Since staying in the room with her, she doesn't get up, but if she were to, I would let her be unless she was genuinely crying for the count of 5.  In this case I would tell her (gently) to lay down and if things escalated, I would help her down.

I hope that helps!  Please post back with more questions when/if you have them

Offline mumofoscar

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 12:10:52 pm »
thanks for that, that is a great help.  :)  We will start next weekend, as that is when DH can help, so I will let you know of the progress. With regards to naps, would you just work on the night sleep first, and then when that is sorted, start the same process with naps?   
Vesna, Oscar's mum

Offline RachelC

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 12:22:22 pm »
I would be consistant with every sleep. Good luck!