Author Topic: 16 MO old Wake To Sleep Success Story  (Read 6759 times)

Offline cliffrose

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 20, 2006, 00:19:45 am »
I wanted to share my Wake to Sleep success story—yes, I said Wake to sleep…

OK, so you think that W2S is crazy? Why would you want to WAKE the toddler?! Well, think about it this way—you go in about 5-10 minutes before he normally wakes up- if you DON’T go, he will get up anyway. If you try, he might go longer. It’s worth the risk, believe me. I finally have a little sanity back in my day, and if my LO isn’t sleeping quite as long, it’s still long enough for me to exercise, recharge, and shower (without a toddler in the room!).

The thing is, you don’t WAKE him. You just stir him enough to reset that clock. If you open his door and he TWITCHES- you leave (that happened to me once). That’s all you need. The other time, I just went in and touched his foot ever so lightly and he sucked on his binky a couple times- out I went.

Here are my notes.

6/28-7/18 Nap getting shorter… intermittent 2 hour and 1 hour naps- he also had an ear infection, learned to walk, and visited two grandparents’ residences.

By early August, I knew things weren’t going to get better by themselves. He clearly was on a one-hour nap jag, and I needed to step in. So, after doing research, I decided W2S and later napping/earlier bedtimes would help. I tried the later napping—that didn’t solve the problem. I tried earlier bedtime – he slept 14 hours one night (that was nice), but it didn’t solve the short nap problem. So, I tried Wake to Sleep (W2S).

8/6 Did W2S 50 minutes in, slept for 90 minutes.
8/7 Woke him trying to do W2S
8/8 Woke him again!
8/9 50 minutes: W2S successful, slept 90 minutes.
8/10 Fell asleep and forgot to do W2S (was trying to go for 3 successful days in a row), but LO slept 90 minutes without. Will skip W2S tomorrow and see if I’ve done it enough.
8/11 slept 1.75 hours
8/12 slept 2.5 hours
8/13 slept 1.75 hours

Since that time, he has been sleeping his two hours again, give or take 10 minutes.

Good luck!

Elizabeth

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: 16 MO old Wake To Sleep Success Story
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 04:00:59 am »
Well done :D

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: 16 MO old Wake To Sleep Success Story
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 18:30:50 pm »
Thanks for sharing your story! I'm gona sticky it so many moms are able to see it and take courage from it!

Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake