Author Topic: Stuck on 530 wakeup...help!  (Read 3138 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Re: Stuck on 530 wakeup...help!
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2006, 17:04:42 pm »
Hi

Our routine is very similar to yours and we had this problem a while ago. 

I did two things, the first was to go straight in with his breakfast milk and then leave him in bed until 7am, doing wi/wo if he was upset.  I actually think feeding at this time is a good thing to do to teach your LO if he wakes at that time that he must go back to sleep but I would only do it temporarily.  As soon as Zander was consistently going back to sleep (probably about 3 weeks) I started to water down the milk and give it to him at breakfast time instead.  Now he has a cup of water in his bed and helps himself to it during the night.  An early morning feed is much easier to fix than an early morning waking IMHO!  You can do wi/wo until 7am every morning but at some point he is going to be truly hungry and by the time he's eaten it'll be his normal wake up time and there's no chance he'll go back to sleep!  Also if he doesn't go back to sleep you're going to be fighting against over-tiredness for the whole day which will probably result in an early morning waking the next day and the cycle continues ...

The second thing is to make sure he doesn't go to bed so tired that he falls straight into a deep sleep.  Zander's bath is at 6pm, he starts his milk at 6.15pm and then we have half an hour of stories and songs in his room with lights out at 6.45pm.  He isn't ready to go straight to sleep so he plays and chats for 10 minutes or so and is asleep by 7pm.  I know that getting him to bed early enough is the only thing which will prevent early wakings - yesterday his nap was screwed up so he was awake from 1.30pm.  Even though he went to sleep really well at 6.40pm he was tired enough to go straight to sleep and sure enough he was awake at 5.30am this morning.  I'm not so bothered though because Zander knows he must go back to sleep - even if he gets really upset and we have to go in and hand him his water we then leave and he helps himself and goes back to sleep until 7/7.30am when I usually have to wake him and this is something he learnt by having the milk feed initially.  I would definitely recommend lights out at 6.45 as it's worked wonders here!

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 15:57:14 pm »
for the last 2 nights he has been doing well.  cold is gone.
top 2 molars cut through (can see the white) bottoms on their way.
slept from 730-630. :o  and a 2 hour nap.

i know this is going to change but things will be better.  it seems in bed and asleep by 730 is best for him.  he usually doesn't sleep if we put him in at 7 will chat until 730 so his clock must be set there.

thanks again for all the advice :)

sabine