Author Topic: DF, dummy or something else? Going backwards rapidly.  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
DF, dummy or something else? Going backwards rapidly.
« on: September 21, 2006, 08:35:06 am »
Firstly here is the answers to the questions:

Routine: 3 hour EASY has been since 1 week old

nap routine: into room. swaddle, put on sounds, sit in chair with his face into my shoulder, give dummy at stage 3 we put into his cot which stirs him slightly so quick sh/pat settles pretty much immediatly all this usually takes less than 5 mins for him to fall asleep

nap length: first nap usually 1 hour - occasionally 1.5hrs. Second nap usually 1 hr 3rd nap 1.5hrs-2hrs catnap 30/45 mins

bedtime routine: 6.20 bath 6.30 pyjamas 6.40 bottle 6.55 into bedtime for same routine as naps asleep usually by 7pm unless reflux is causing problems

Bottle feeding 3 hourly was taking 5 oz from 7 bottles in 24 hrs 35oz but started teething last week and has dropped to 22-24oz from 7 bottles.  Looks like this 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, bedtime, df, night feed

NW are unpredicatable from week to week.  Last week slept through from df till 6am just once tho.  Before that we had trouble with a habit wake at 1.30am by using w2s  he stopped that at started waking for a feed anywhere between 2.30 and 4am.  We have found since birth that after the night feed he usually wakes around 1-2hrs later and is difficult to settle for around 45-60 mins. possibly due to his reflux.   However last few nights this is what has happened.  10.45 df 12.15 wake, 1.30 wake 3.15 wake for feed, 4.30/5.30 waking

12.30 and 1.30nw start as fussing with eyes closed starts to cry with eyes closed pat/sh first sometimes works if not dummy works immediatly.  if i didn't go in cry would escalate

3.15 wakes for feed as nothing will settle him for more than 15 mins. This waking i do not worry about as i know many babies still need a feed at his age.

waking following feed usually 1/2 hrs later pat,sh tried first which sometimes works if not we offer dummy either way he will only settle for 5-15mins this goes on for upto an hour then usually falls asleep for last hour of the night.  sometimes he is sleepy at these wakings and sometimes wide awake. fussing again which escalates if not dealt with.

A time varies throughout the day as Luke is my second son, anything from 1hr-2hrs but goes down for naps equally well and doesn't seem to get fussy or over tired if it is nearer 2hrs.

He has started teething in the last week.

prop: dummy

lovey yes but like it on his head for some reason but not that attatched too.

Previous to this we have often suffered from habit wakings less than 3hrs after a df.

my questions are:

do you think the df is interfering with his sleep due to the reflux issues or other.  We have dropped df previously and will sleep till 1/2am before needing a feed.  I also think the 4.30 waking is due to reflux or wind following the night feed unless you think differently.

Or is it possible that the dummy is causing problems i know it works well but we can often get him to sleep without it.  As it soothes him when suffering from reflux i pray this isn't the problem.

What should i do from here? i have tried spacing feeds out to 4hrs to see if he will take more in one go since that problem started but he doesn't though despite the drop in feeds he isn't any more hungry at night.  What i am really aiming for is a baby that only wakes when hungry instead of all this craziness in between.  I am shattered.
Please help.

Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: DF, dummy or something else? Going backwards rapidly.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 16:14:55 pm »
Personally, I think dropping the DF might help. It's not for everyone - sometimes it will disrupt a LO's sleep cycle/biorhythms and actually make wakings worse. If you've done it before and he slept until 1 or 2 then I would just forget the DF.

I also wonder if the reflux has anything to do with it. Does he sleep elevated? What meds is he on?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 17:16:30 pm »
He does sleep elevated.  He has a thickened feed which kinda keeps it under control but we are waiting for a peds appt.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 17:20:45 pm »
Is he just on a thickened feed and not an actual med, like Zantac or Prevacid?  :o
Jessica

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 17:56:05 pm »
Yep just the feed.  Apparently only ped can prescribe and not gp's so waiting for appt could take upto 13 weeks!!! i think the night feeds trigger more wakings due to reflux do you think that could be it? Which is why it is sooooo unpredictable.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 18:23:43 pm »
13 WEEKS???  :o  :o  :o That's not good.   The night feeds sure could trigger more wakings, but at 3 months he surely still needs at least one for sure.  :-\  Have you tried cluster feeding in the evenings?
Jessica

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 21:40:56 pm »
We did it early on and he was taking so much feed then i was worried about over feeding we did find on the nights we did cluster feed he slept better after a night feed not before which right now would be great.  I know in book it says to stop at 8 weeks do you think it worth a try?
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 22:01:36 pm »
Definitely. Clusterfeeding can be like a dreamfeed, in that it doesn't work for everyone, but it sounds like it worked for you before. We clusterfed my DS until he was well over 8 weeks and it helped a lot. Can't hurt to try!
Jessica

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 11:13:07 am »
dropped df last night and no change.  will def try cluster feed. One thought though gp recommended we try baby rice due to reflux (this was when he was 10 weeks) did start a small amount of rice nearly 2 weeks ago which he has been taking well.  Just 1 teaspoon once or twice a day.  When i observed his wakings last night he seemed to stay asleep but was pulling legs up not screaming but wonder if he is feeling uncomfortable.  Do you think the rice could be causing this?  I was shocked that the gp recommended it.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 15:48:13 pm »
Yep, that is surely the source of the pulling legs up and probably at least some waking. We also did a bit of rice cereal early on, it's common to recommend that for a refluxer because it thickens the feed and helps them keep it down better. The key is to not overdo it though, there's a very fine line! We used to do a pinch in his bottle once or maybe twice a day. The cereal, especially rice, can be very hard for a LO with a "virgin system" to digest. Even at 6 months when starting solids! So, for a younger one it can be even harder. It helps to do the cereal as early in the day as possible to give LO time to work on it and get any discomfort, cramping, and/or gas out of their system.
Jessica

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 06:03:15 am »
stopped the rice yesterday and last night was much better almost back to normal though wasn't a good day for the reflux but you can't have it all ways. and this morning he fed much better from his bottle again.  Think we will wait till at leas 16 weeks before trying any more solids.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 18:49:55 pm »
That is true, you can't have it all ways! I'm so glad to hear that night was better though!! That's really great. If things do go downhill though, you could try oatmeal or barley cereal instead of the rice. Those tend to be less problematic.
Jessica

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 18:55:41 pm »
Thanks for your help.  Last night was one of the best yet.  Woke at 1.30 for paci think this might be habit so may do w2s if he does it again tonight but straight off till 4.30 woke for feed then straight off till i woke him at 7. Boy do i feel better for it.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 16:38:29 pm »
GREAT!!!!  :-*
Jessica