Author Topic: Whole milk questions (includes bum issues)  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Whole milk questions (includes bum issues)
« on: September 21, 2006, 14:04:28 pm »
Not entirely sure if I'm posting in the right place, so feel free to move :)

When I tried to transfer ds onto cow's milk from formula at 1 year old, it would give him horrible tummy cramps and constipation, and, as I had been milk intolerant as a child, it was a reasonable assumption that it wasn't going to agree with him. So, he's been on rice milk ever since.

But, I am a little concerned about the amount of fats in rice milk, and ds is a skinny-minnie anyway, so, on advice of the doc, I'm trying cow's milk again - just a small amount in his rice milk.

Ever since, he has had a runny bum, and many more bms than usual, although I wouldn't go so far as to call it diarrhoea. Also, he has a horrible nappy rash. Is this connected with the cow's milk? Can it cause this? If so, what do I do - keep with it and hope his tummy settles to it, or give up and try again another time?

TIA :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Whole milk questions (includes bum issues)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 14:06:46 pm »
Mine does that too.  She drinks lactose free milk, no more problems.  She is also taking probiotics to try and build her ability to handle lactose.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 14:18:35 pm »
Hey Caroline. I definitely think it's likely from the cow's milk. What about soy milk? Or you can stick with the rice milk and focus on other sources of fat in his diet - does he eat peanut butter yet? Avocado? Flax oil can be added to many foods too... I also agree with Jenn and am a BIG fan of probiotics (make sure to get dairy free ones though).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 22:26:51 pm »
Hi, thanks for your replies.

After yet another disturbed nap, and small runny poos every hour, I've decided to give up on the cow's milk. It's just not fair on him - the poor boy's suffering.

Any idea on where I can get hold of flax oil? Unfortunately, he hates avocado (as do I :-X), but I hadn't thought of the peanut butter. It's not all that popular over here, although I know it is in America, so it hadn't really occured to me to try it with him. Is it really all that healthy? I've been trying to keep his diet as healthy as possible, avoiding all junk food - where does peanut butter fall on this scale, do you know?

Also, can you suggest any other foods with 'good' fats in them, or point me in the direction of some sources of info?

Thank you so much :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 22:33:39 pm »
Peanut butter is quite healthy, just look for natural/organic ones. Health markets are a good source for that and for flax oil too. Also soy nut butter (tastes similar to peanut butter). What about goat's cheese? Add butter to his vegetables? Cook his foods in oil and/or butter?

Hope he's back to feeling like himself soon! I agree and would definitely stop the cow's milk too.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 22:36:41 pm »
OK, thanks Karen.

Funny thing is, he's OK with most other dairy products like cheese and butter, although yoghurt made him constipated ???. I now give him a soy-based yoghurt every day, which he loves, and I don't have any burning desire to change that, so it's fine ;) :).

Hmmm, I think a trip to a health food shop is in order.

Thanks again :)

Nikki~

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 22:39:07 pm »
Caroline, if you have a health food shop, you an get pure peanut butter and almond butter, Flax seed oil - our supermakets have them too. I add olive oil where I can - I have heard you can use it like a spread on toast if you refrigerate it first (or spread it on runny perhaps). You could even drizzle the flax seed oil or olive oil over his cooked food.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 23:38:34 pm »
Olive oil is a great idea Nikki. Along the same lines, there is avocado oil too. Hard cheeses are easier to digest than milk - but if he's OK with them it's a good sign that it's an intolerance to the milk as opposed to a true allergy and something he may eventually outgrow.

Offline CharlotteandCharlie

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • These moments make my heart sing!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 02:54:23 am »
Just a quick two bits on avocado.  Dd hated it until I took ripe bananas and mashed them with a potato masher in a bowl.  I freeze them like ice cubes.  Dd LOVES avocado that way. 

Charlotte mom to
Charlie Anne August 7, 2005
Campbell Rose March 27, 2007
And wife to the man of my dreams.