Author Topic: 18 Month Old Suddenly Taking 45 Minute Naps  (Read 4490 times)

Offline txavery

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
18 Month Old Suddenly Taking 45 Minute Naps
« on: September 21, 2006, 19:36:53 pm »
Could my 18 month old DD seriously only need a 45 minute nap? It's driving me crazy as we have DD2 coming in less than two weeks. 

DD1 has been sleep trained from day one and consistently sleeps 12 hours at night with the occassional 11 or 13 hour night. She was consistently sleeping 2 to 3 hours for naps and then for a few weeks was sleeping 1.5 hours and now in the last few days has been sleeping 45 minutes.

I feel like she needs more, because she is crying and cranky when I go in there. She is normal after a short video and a snack, but is pretty tired and fussy by her 7:00 pm bedtime. I've been trying to not rush in there the last couple of days, but no luck so far. This short nap is happening no matter if I put her down at 12:15 or 1:15. Goes down perfectly and then up crying in 45 minutes.

She started Mother's Day Out 1 day a week and has been two times. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Any suggestions on what I should do?????

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: 18 Month Old Suddenly Taking 45 Minute Naps
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 20:24:28 pm »
IT all indicates that she actually needs to nap for longer. You have many options here, depending on her temper and what do you think will suit you both best:

1. Try wake to sleep at the 35 min mark of her sleep. There's a sticky thread that came from a case very similar like you that you might want to check out and see the succesfull story.

2. Try extending the nap with gradual withdrawal. For this option you have two options more:
2.1 Come into the room at the 35 min mark (or if you think it's better, come into the room once she's asleep) and watch her stirr and observe what's happening around the 40-45 min mark that is making her awake. Is she crying out without opening eyes? is she standing before she's wide awake? is she stuck in a crib bar or tangled in sheets? that might solve the clue. Also, by being there you can actually avoid her to wake by start intervening with pat/shsh or gentle rubbing before she's wide awake (sort of a wake to sleep but without you causing the stirrs)
2.2 Come into the room once she's awake and crying for you and do as indicated in 2.1

For this option, which i used with my own lo, i'd stay in the room once i managed him to get him back to sleep. If I tried to leave, he'd wake. About a week later I'd be able to leave the room after he was solid sleeping for 15 mins or more. Then i was able to stop intervening and just shs from the outside and 2 days later he stopped waking then.

3. Don't extend the nap (or if you try extending naps with the 2 prior suggestions and don't succeed at it) and have a super early bedtime. On days you can't extend the nap keep trying with the earlyb edtime to avoid overtiredness.

Remember to try at least for 2 weeks with each method before switching to other cause you might confuse her if you try one thing and the next day you try another. Keep consistant and she might grow out of it sooner than you expect.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline txavery

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 18 Month Old Suddenly Taking 45 Minute Naps
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 20:36:37 pm »
Thank you so much for the quick reply and great insight. I will work on this and let you know how it goes. It might get a little more interesting when baby 2 gets here in less than two weeks, but I will have her grandparents help me maintain whatever method we are trying and keep at it for 2 weeks at a time. I will also put her to bed early tonight!! :)