Author Topic: He wakes up every 45 mins in the night  (Read 914 times)

Offline Pinkskittle

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 22, 2006, 01:26:38 am »
Hi! my4.5 month old keeps waking up after 45 mins. Getting him to sleep isn't that problem. It's him staying asleep. I am trying to be as consistant as possible with him. I ssshhh pat him back to sleep. But this has been going on for a long time now..about a month. I know i have been bad somenights with bringing him in the bed with me. I just want reassurance that this isn't going to go on forever and that some night i will get sleep. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
Re: He wakes up every 45 mins in the night
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 19:55:08 pm »
Hi!  I am definitely not an expert, but I thought I'd send you some Hugs!  Does he have a prop that he is dependent on?  Is he hungry?  Are there developmental things interrupting his sleep (rolling? teething?)  What is his daily routine?  He should be on a 4 hour EASY at his age.

Infant's sleep cycles are about 45 minutes long so there is something preventing him being able to put himself back to sleep as he transitions from one cycle to the next.

Good luck!

Offline mumoftwo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 17:14:16 pm »
Oh you poor thing.  This happened with DS2 at about the same time.  You must be exhuasted.  Believe me when I say it does get better.

My problem was that Edward had a dummy & I constantly used to keep plugging it (every 45 mins - a baby's sleep cycle as stated above).  We went cold turkey one night & things improved dramatically.  I also found that as his cot was right next to my bed I kept reseetling him almost in my sleep every time he moved therefore I became a prop.  I moved his cot to the other side of the room & this also helped.  I tried to allow him to reseetle himself as much as possible providing he wasn't really crying.   There's loads of info on this site which might help.  I worked on daytime routines as well as our bedtime routine too, teaching him to settle himself to sleep.

Hope this helps.   :)

Offline Ireps

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 00:51:43 am »
i was just about to post this very same problem...I really dont know what to do...he goes down at 7 or 8 for a few hours, which allows me to have dinner and watch a show on TV but then he is up and up every 45 minutes. I am so tired. I just don tknow what to do.

Offline mumoftwo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 15:07:21 pm »
Have either or you tried swaddling - that was my god send, also pat & sush?  I worked hard on settling during the day & wake to sleep for naps (theres a post about it on one of the boards for naps I think).  Also I worked on my routine a lot during the day & it all helped gradually.  DS2 is such a bad sleeper compared to DS1 but it does get easier I promise.  If I can help any more please pm me.  I know how it feels to be at the end of your teether with it really, but keep working on all of the BW ideas & it will get easier.

:)